How to make the best classic pecan pie recipe. Easy, old-fashioned, southern dessert with a gooey filling and homemade crust. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
Southern pecan pie has become one of my favorite desserts this time of year. Like our favorite apple crumb pie, it's always on the dessert table at Thanksgiving; and it's usually a safe bet that my mom will have one sitting on her kitchen counter at different times throughout the year.
It's funny, 'cause when I was younger, I didn't like your typical, classic pecan pie at all (or maybe I just thought I didn't). But I've really grown to love it over the last few years.
I don't know which is my favorite, the crunchy pecans that float to the top or the delicious sweet, somewhat salty pie filling that gives pecan pie its unique flavor. Mmmm, it's just so good!
Also, pecan pie is so easy to make; it's not one bit complicated. Make a crust, mix up the filling, pour it into the crust, and presto… It's ready to bake.
If you’re looking for more holiday recipes, you’ll find a whole slew of them on my lists of Thanksgiving Recipes and Christmas Recipes.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE ACTUAL RECIPE CARD?
If you’d rather skip all of my baking tips, important info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
- Pie crust
- Salted butter
- Large eggs
- Dark corn syrup
- Vanilla extract
Keep in mind, all of the ingredient amounts you’ll need are in the printable recipe card below.
KITCHEN TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer with Mixing Bowl
Glass Measuring Cup – for measuring out liquids.
Pie Shield or Aluminum Foil – to keep the edges of your crust from burning.
Baking Tester – Check whether your pie (or cake) is done.
Wire Rack – for cooling the pie.
Coffee Maker with Coffee – Some of my favorite memories are dessert with my grandmother. She always loved a hot cup of coffee with her pie.
HOW TO MAKE PECAN PIE
First things first, mix up a pie crust…
MAKING THE PIE CRUST:
You can make a more traditional roll-out pie crust or an easier shortcut no-roll pie crust. Chill the pie crust 'til you're ready to pour in the filling.
MAKING PECAN PIE FILLING:
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. And by cream, I mean mix together really well until it becomes a creamy mixture.
- Lightly beat the eggs together. Then mix them into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add dark corn syrup and vanilla to the mixture, mixing well.
- Then stir in the pecans by hand.
Then just pour the pie filling into your unbaked pie crust. Bake the pie according to the instructions in the recipe card below.
Serve with a creamy delicious dollop of whipped cream!
BAKING TIPS FOR SOUTHERN PECAN PIE
- You may want to use a pie shield or a strip of aluminum foil to keep the edges of your pie crust from getting too dark or burning.
- When your pie is fully cooked through, remove it from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
HOW TO TELL WHEN PECAN PIE IS DONE
You can use a toothpick, table knife, or cake tester to see if your pie is done, but being that this is more of a custard pie, you may still see a slight bit of residue on your tester.
You can also check the internal temperature with a cooking thermometer. It should be at least 200° F.
When you go to take it out of the oven, your pie should be fairly firm. If it's more than slightly jiggly, it needs more time in the oven.
It’s a delicate balance between under-baking and over-baking when it comes to pecan pie. On the other hand, you don’t want it to be uncooked in the middle; on the other hand, you don’t want it to crack and be too dry.
MORE PIE RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPE
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest! If you make the recipe, be sure to share that you tried it on Pinterest. I love when readers share feedback!
CRAVING MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram for all the latest updates!
Classic Pecan Pie
- 1 pie crust
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecans halved or sliced
- Chill the pie crust, rolled out and prepared in a 9-inch pie plate, 'til you're ready to add the filling.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream (or mix) together the butter and sugar.
- In a separate smaller bowl, lightly beat the eggs together.
- Then mix the eggs into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add the dark corn syrup and vanilla to the mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in the pecans by hand.
- Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake the pie at 450° F for about 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350° F, and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- When the pie is fully cooked through, remove it from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve each slice with a creamy delicious dollop of whipped cream.
4 thoughts on “Simple and Easy Classic Pecan Pie Recipe”
Yum I’m making it in a few minutes. Thank you.
You’re very welcome, Joanie. Thank you!