Mashed Potato Bar – Feed a crowd with a mashed potato bar at your next party, wedding, or celebration. Ideas for all sorts of delicious toppings.
There are so many things you can do with a mashed potato bar; the choices for toppings are endless. Pretty much anything you think up you can use.
It's the perfect appetizer idea, or even side dish, for a wedding or party. I experienced my first mashed potato bar at a blogging conference; I'd never seen such a beautiful thing in all my life.
It was filled with all sorts of delicious mashed potato bar toppings, along with all sorts of potatoes, including purple mashed potatoes! The mashed potatoes themselves were served in martini glasses, and you could go right down the buffet line, adding any toppings you wanted.
You talk about delicious. That was hands down the BEST food I've ever had at a conference. Comfort food at its best, and man, was it delicious.
So when I created my first baked potato bar, I thought it only appropriate to also create a mashed potato bar. Because who doesn't love a loaded down cup of hot mashed potatoes smothered in cheese and bacon?
I JUST WANT THE RECIPE! TAKE ME TO THE MASHED POTATO BAR RECIPE!
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the delicious recipe for an amazing mashed potato bar – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
WHAT GOES INTO SETTING UP A MASHED POTATO BAR?
Whether you’re getting together with friends for game night, hosting a family dinner, or setting up a potluck, a mashed potato bar is the perfect way to feed and entertain your guests. And it really doesn’t take a whole lot of time and effort on your part.
Your main work will be cooking the potatoes and prepping all the toppings for your guests to choose from.
Or better yet, have each guest bring their favorite topping, saving you even more time! Then you get different perspectives, different ideas, and guests get to contribute their favorite topping idea to the mix.
HOW DO I MAKE THE MASHED POTATOES?
I've got you covered with this delicious and easy mashed potatoes recipe.
TIPS FOR HOW TO SET UP THE ULTIMATE MASHED POTATO BAR
Gather your ingredients for your potato bar… You’ll need mashed potatoes and toppings.
You’ll find a list of toppings ideas below, as well as a printable recipe that includes all the info you’ll need to set up your own baked potato buffet.
- If you still need to make your potatoes, go ahead and make them.
- Prep the toppings, adding each topping to a separate dish or compartment for serving. Prepping may involve cooking, re-heating, or simply chopping.
- Set everything out buffet style, so your guests can create their very own delicious mashed potato creations.
THE ULTIMATE LIST OF MASHED POTATO BAR TOPPINGS:
- Salt and Pepper
- Sour Cream
- Cheese Sauce
- Shredded Cheese – I recommend Extra Sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Smoked Cheddar, Mozzarella, etc.
- Onions – red onion, green onion, etc.
- Cooked Broccoli
- Cooked Cauliflower
- Meat for Sloppy Joes
- Taco Meat – beef taco meat, taco chicken, etc.
- Chopped Baked Ham or Pineapple Ham
- Pulled Pork
- Ground Beef
- Cubed Pepperoni
- BBQ Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Pizza Sauce
- Turkey Gravy
- Ham Gravy or Ham Gravy with Cornstarch
- Chicken Stock Gravy
The sky’s the limit on ideas for a mashed potato buffet because there are so many toppings you could add to this list. But this is a great start.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS RECIPE, CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER FAVORITE POTATO RECIPES:
- Easy Copycat KFC Famous Bowl
- Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Green Beans, Potatoes, and Sausages
- Smoked Bacon Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU'LL NEED TO CREATE YOUR OWN MASHED POTATO BAR
Stockpot – for cooking and mashing the potatoes.
MASHED POTATO BAR RECIPE
If you love this mashed potato bar as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest! If you make the recipe, be sure to share that you tried it on Pinterest. I love when readers share feedback!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
The Ultimate Mashed Potato Bar
- 12 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups cheese sauce
- 12 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese *shredded
- 2 cups red onion minced
- 2 cups green onion chopped
- 2 cups chives chopped
- 6 cups broccoli cooked
- 6 cups sloppy joe meat
- 1 1/2 cups bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 1/2 cups ham chopped
- Choose and prep your toppings**, adding each topping to a separate dish or compartment for serving. Prepping may involve cooking, re-heating, or simply chopping.
- Set everything out buffet style***, so your guests can create their very own delicious baked potato creations.