This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There's nothing quite as easy for dinner as a chicken salad sandwich recipe. Made with eggs, apples, and walnuts, this chicken salad is my family's favorite easy weeknight meal. Thanks to Great Day Farms for sponsoring this recipe.
Sundays are my weekly planning day, and one of the things I do is write out our dinner menu and make a list of anything I need to pick up at the grocery store that week. Our favorite chicken salad sandwich recipe always makes it onto the menu.
While we love making Asian chicken salad for appetizers, we've pretty much stuck with this easy chicken salad recipe for weeknight dinners. It's got healthy, wholesome ingredients; and it's fairly low carb, so it's a really healthy option for Dan, who usually eats it on a bed of spinach or lettuce.
I love the crisp, tarty flavor the apples bring to this dish. My grandma used to add both apples and pickles to her chicken salad, and it was always so delicious.
It's easy to make ahead of time or on the fly, especially when your chicken and eggs are already cooked. Great Day Farms Hard-Boiled Eggs, available in the Walmart Deli, make this recipe a breeze; and they're tasty, to boot.
Ingredients you need for this Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe:
First, you'll want to gather your ingredients. You'll need the following:
- Cooked chicken breasts
- Great Day Farms Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Green onions
- Mayo or salad dressing
- Chopped walnuts
Tips for how to make an Open-Faced Chicken Salad Sandwich:
Shred up the already cooked chicken breasts. Then smash up the hard-boiled eggs.
Wash and chop the celery and green onions. Then wash and chop the apple; you can peel the apple too, if desired.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the chicken breasts, hard-boiled eggs, celery, apple, and green onions.
Next, measure out the mayo and mustard, and mix it into the chicken salad. If you like a “wetter” chicken salad, you can add more mayo.
Finally, stir in the chopped walnuts.
If you feel like it needs it, you can add in a dash of salt and pepper. Otherwise, it's ready to eat and enjoy!
How to put it all together into a delicious open-faced sandwich
I like to do the following, but you can change this up to make it your own.
- Toast a piece of sourdough bread.
- Spread on a little salad dressing.
- Add a small pile of lettuce, and pile on the chicken salad to make the most delicious open-faced chicken salad sandwich recipe ever.
It's so tasty and so good!
Alternative options/add-ins for your easy chicken salad recipe:
We've tweaked this recipe over the years. Sometimes we add things, other times we don't.
Here are a few options for you to think about when mixing up the ingredients…
- Mince a little dill or sweet pickle to add into the ingredients. We love adding in dill pickle. I imagine bread and butter pickles would be really good too.
- Instead of mayo, you can use salad dressing or plain yogurt.
- In place of walnuts, you can use pecans or almonds.
- Add chopped up grapes for a yummy chicken salad with grapes.
- If you really need a quick option, you can use canned chicken.
However you choose to make this chicken salad, it's sure to be a hit with your family. We usually have zero leftovers with this meal.
More delicious recipes you can make with hard-boiled eggs:
For more delicious recipes, follow #EggceptionallyGreat on social media!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 Great Day Farms Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 apple
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 cup mayo or salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 slice sourdough bread
- 1/2 head leaf lettuce
- Shred up the already cooked chicken breasts.
- Smash up the hard-boiled eggs.
- Wash and chop the celery and green onions.
- Wash and chop the apple; you can peel the apple too, if desired.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the chicken breasts, hard-boiled eggs, celery, apple, and green onions.
- Next, measure out the mayo and mustard, and mix it into the chicken salad. If you like a "wetter" chicken salad, you can add more mayo.
- Finally, stir in the chopped walnuts.
- If you feel like it needs it, you can add in a dash of salt and pepper. Otherwise, it's ready to eat and enjoy!
- To make the sandwich, toast a piece of sourdough bread or whatever type of bread you prefer.
- I like to spread a layer of salad dressing.
- Add a small pile of lettuce, and pile on the chicken salad to complete your open-faced sandwich.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 89mg Sodium: 342mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 21g
Tip: When you head to Walmart to pick up a pack of Great Day Farms Hard-Boiled Eggs, remember to use your Ibotta app to get $0.50 cash back on any variety 2 pack size OR $1 cash back on any variety 6 pack size!