This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Apple Crumb Pie, made with fresh apples and a scrumptious brown sugar crumble topping, a delicious dessert. My family’s favorite apple pie recipe!
Apple Crumb Pie is one dessert I make every year about this time and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. While it tastes good any time of year, there’s just something about going to the orchard, picking up a box of seconds, and making this pie when the air is just getting crisp outside.
I remember as a kid, my neighbors had apple trees. In fact, their yard was pretty much an orchard. Between their kids and all the neighbor kids, it was a wonder they had any apples left because we’d gorge ourselves on apples when given the chance, sometimes even when they were green as green can be.
But man, those apples were good. There is nothing quite like the flavor of a fresh apple straight from the tree. Store bought just can’t compare. And when it comes to pie, there’s something about using the freshest apple you can possibly find. It adds so much more flavor into the pie than the average apple from the store.
One of the best parts of making an apple crumb pie is the fact that you don’t have to add a top crust. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, the crumb topping is easier and quicker. And if you’re a beginner pie baker, this is definitely a great pie to start with on your pie making journey.
Tips for Making Apple Crumb Pie
- You’ll need a single pie crust for this pie, so first things first, make a pie crust and stick it in the fridge to chill while you’re creating the filling.
- Wash, core, peel, and thinly slice the apples, adding them to a large mixing bowl. (An easy solution for prepping the apples is included in the tools section below).
- Melt the butter, and mix it into the prepared apples.
- Then add the sour cream, pure cane sugar, brown sugar, flour, spices, and lemon juice. Mix together well.
- Take your pie crust out of the fridge, and pour your apple mixture into the pie shell.
- Now for the crumb topping… Mix together the flour, brown sugar, pure cane sugar, and sliced butter with a pastry blender. It will form into a nice crumbly mixture.
- Top off your pie with the crumble topping, making sure you crumble it all up around the edge, as well.
- Place your pie plate on a baking sheet (a cookie sheet works just fine), and bake at 375° for about an hour, possibly a little longer depending on whether or not your crust is done. You want the topping to turn a nice golden brown. And as I’ve recommended before, you can use a pie shield to keep your crust from getting too brown around the edges.
- Once the pie is done, take it out of the oven, and allow it to cool.
- While you’re waiting, you can even mix up a quick batch of whipped cream to top off your pie. Better yet, serve it with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Looking for more pie recipes? You may enjoy these!
- Classic Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
- Caramel Custard Pie
- Chocolate Meringue Pie
- Strawberry Cream Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie
- The Best Peach Cobbler Ever
- Blueberry Cobbler
Find more holiday dessert recipes on my list of Best Thanksgiving Recipes for Your Holiday Menu.
Tools and items you may need to make Apple Crumb Pie
Pastry Blender – I love my simple pastry blender. The mixture doesn’t get stuck in it like it does the bigger pastry blenders.
Apple Peeler – Making apple pie, apple bundt cake, apple butter, and all things apple will never be the same tedious task with this tool. It makes the process so much quicker and easier.
Paring Knife – Another necessary tool for peeling, slicing, and cutting out bad spots.
Rolling Pin – This is a necessary tool if you’re making pies.
Glass Pie Plates – This pie plate is my old faithful pie plate. I’ve had it forever, probably since we got married. Mine actually has the fluted edge sorta built in too, so you can press it in and get somewhat of a decorative edge without a lot of handiwork on your part.
Adjustable Pie Shield – Protects your pie crust from burning.
Baking Sheet – You can put your pie plate on this to catch any possible drips while baking.
Spices – You’ll need cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
Want to see how to make Apple Crumb Pie? Watch the video!
Print the recipe for Apple Crumb Pie
Apple Crumb Pie in a Jar
- Pie Crust rolled out and placed in each jar
- 6 cups apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter sliced
- First I will tell you that this makes enough for several individual pies; or you can make a few jars, and then a larger pie, as well. The first step is to mix the pie crust, and roll out small bits of dough to form crusts for each jar. Place crust in jars, and smooth against the sides and bottom of the jar.
- Wash, core, peel, and thinly slice apples. Melt butter, and mix into apples, along with sour cream, sugars, flour, spices, and lemon juice. Add spoonfuls of the apple mixture to each jar, until jars are filled with the mixture but still leave room for the topping.
- Mix topping with a pastry blender; it will be quite crumbly. Add to top of each jar.