Fall is the time of year when I just want to break out all the soup recipes… There's just something cozy about a warm, steaming bowl of goodness.
A few weeks ago, my husband made a delicious homemade 15 Bean Soup with Rice. He'd found the beans and rice at our local orchard.
We used a ham hock from a glazed ham we'd baked.
Below you'll find a printable recipe.
This soup is perfect for chilly fall days, rainy days, or days where you just need a bit of down home comfort. And it pairs deliciously with a skillet of buttermilk cornbread.
Looking for more delicious soup recipes?
Homemade 15 Bean Soup with Rice
- 20 ounces 15 bean soup with seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 pounds ham hock
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 quarts water see instructions below
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- Add ham bone to Dutch oven pan, or similar. Cover ham bone in water, and boil until water is reduced by at least half.
- Remove bone from water, and pull meat from bone; chop meat. Put meat back into water. Add beans w/ flavor packet, rice, chopped peppers, and diced onions. Add enough water to cover everything over. Cook per instructions on the bean package, or until beans are thoroughly cooked. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve, while warm, with cornbread or hot rolls. This usually makes enough leftovers for at least one more meal, for our family of 4.