This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
My mom and my grandma must have both had the same recipe for lemon cake, because growing up, I remember both of them making this type of cake. It was always a family favorite, not as tart as you would think but really sweet. The icing gives the cake a semi-crunchy texture on top.
This recipe comes from my grandma’s recipe box. Below is a printable recipe, without photos, for your convenience. This is a very quick and easy cake to make, something I like in a recipe. It’s perfect for that church potluck or outdoor barbecue you may be attending this 4th of July. Enjoy!
Summer Dessert: Lemon Cake
- 1 lemon or yellow cake mix
- 1 lemon instant pudding
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup salad oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz. frozen lemonade If using lemons, use juice of 2 lemons, or about 6 tbsp
- Mix cake mix and instant pudding together; add eggs and water, beating for 2 minutes. Add salad oil, and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes in loaf or cake pan (I use a 13x9 cake pan).
- While cake is baking, mix up icing. When cake is done and while still hot, prick with fork all over; spoon on icing. Enjoy!
(Note: In the past, I’ve also made lemon cake just following the directions on the back of the cake mix box, also making a standard powdered sugar icing with butter, vanilla, milk, and lemon juice added in for taste. This is just another quick way of changing up the recipe.)