This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make a simple, homemade, creamy chicken enchilada soup in your Crock Pot. Quick and easy recipe without all the hassle of enchiladas!
Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is the soup version of one of my favorite Tex Mex meals, Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. Not only is it easier to make; I can throw it together in the slow cooker and let it simmer all afternoon.
While I prefer to make this slow cooker soup with taco chicken I’ve already made, you can always use rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken, or even fajita style chicken. Just make sure the chicken is cooked before you throw the soup together.
You can slice tortillas into smaller squares or triangles and add to the soup for the last 30 minutes or so of cook time. Because at least one person in my house is counting carbs, I prefer to keep the tortillas out, slice into larger triangles, and serve alongside the soup.
You can even serve this easy chicken tortilla soup with crispy tortilla chips.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE RECIPE CARD FOR CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP?
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the delicious chicken enchilada soup recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
What Kind of Chicken Should I Use in Chicken Enchilada Soup?
This soup is the perfect dinner recipe to make after you’ve already had chicken another night of the week. Use up your leftover chicken to make soup, or even cook enough chicken to make two meals.
You can also pick up a rotisserie chicken on your way home from work.
Or you can make our favorite taco chicken to give the soup even more pizzazz and flavor.
Can I Make Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup Ahead and Freeze It?
Yes, you can. In fact, chicken enchilada soup should keep in the freezer for a good 2 to 3 months.
Just make sure you store the soup in a freezer safe sealed container that won’t let it get freezer burn.
Tips for How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
Gather your ingredients, per the recipe card below.
- Prep all your fresh ingredients first. Shred the cheese.
- Then wash and dice the tomatoes, wash and mince the bell pepper, and mince the onion and garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and chicken to your slow cooker, stirring it all together.
- Stir the heavy whipping cream into your soup mixture. We use heavy whipping cream because Dan avoids carbs, and whipping cream doesn’t have carbs.
- Next, you’ll season your soup, which you can do now or you can wait a couple of hours and season it to taste.
- You’ll need to cook the soup on high for about 4 hours, or on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
If you choose to add tortillas to your soup, just slice them up into smaller squares or triangles, and stir them into the soup for the last 30 minutes or so of cook time. Otherwise, you can slice tortillas into triangles and just serve alongside the soup.
What Else to Serve with Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken enchilada soup pairs really well with tortilla strips, tortilla chips, and all your normal taco fixin’s like sour cream, guacamole or avocado, fresh cilantro, more shredded cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, green onions, etc.
More chicken soups you may enjoy:
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Slow Cooker – My slow cooker’s been with me for a long time now. It’s made my family some really delicious meals, including this soup.
Heat-Resistant Spatula – Works well for stirring, mixing, and scraping the side of your pan.
Soup Bowls – Who doesn’t love a pretty bowl?
Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
If you love this cheesy chicken enchilada soup recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
Connect with Adventures of Mel!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken, *shredded
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 flour tortillas, **optional
- Prep the vegetables by washing, chopping, and mincing.
- Add the chicken broth, cheese, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and chicken to the slow cooker, stirring it all together.
- Stir the heavy whipping cream into your soup mixture.
- Next, add and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on your slow cooker, and cook the soup on high for about 4 hours, or on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
- If you choose to add tortillas to your soup, slice them up into smaller squares or triangles and stir into the soup for the last 30 minutes or so of cook time.
- Serve with all your favorite Tex Mex goodies, like sour cream, guacamole or avocado, more shredded cheese, fresh tomatoes, green onions, etc.
*You can use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, fajita chicken, or our favorite taco chicken to make this soup.
**Otherwise, you can slice tortillas into triangles and just serve alongside the soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494 Total Fat: 40g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 128mg Sodium: 1118mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 19g