This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Simple and easy are the way to go when it comes to dinner on busy week nights. Healthy is also an important factor to add into the equation. When it comes to my go-to, favorite kind of food… It’d hands down be Tex-Mex. Enchiladas, chicken tacos, ground beef tacos, fajitas… I love it all! Chicken Fajitas are a simple, easy-to-fix meal that can also be quite healthy, depending on the ingredients you choose to add.
When it comes to making meals with chicken, I really like to buy a whole chicken and then stretch it as far as I can for other meals. Sometimes I’ll even buy a whole chicken, cook it, and keep on hand a few days for sandwiches (so much better and healthier than lunch meat), chicken salad, and more. Easy chicken recipes are the way to go.
Fajitas are one of those secondary meals we make after cooking a whole chicken. (We also love to make a big batch of Instant Pot Taco Chicken, perfect for fajitas.)
Our favorite way to cook a whole chicken is by using the slow cooker. Plop that chicken in, add a few seasonings of choice, add some chicken broth, and you’ve got a tasty dinner.
To make fajitas, all you need are a few ingredients besides the chicken. You’ll need peppers and onions, avocados, cilantro, tomatoes, tortillas, and if you want… sour cream or yogurt. Below you’ll find the printable recipe. Enjoy!
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 1/2 of a whole chicken cooked
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 10-12 small peppers
- 1/2 large onion
- 2-3 avocados
- Sour cream
- Dice onion and julienne peppers.
- Sauté onion in butter for 2-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add peppers and sauté for another 5-10 minutes, or until tender but still very colorful.
- Shred chicken and mix with pepper/onion mixture if desired, keeping warm on low heat.
- Warm tortillas and layer ingredients. Add sour cream or yogurt, cilantro, avocado slices, and freshly diced tomatoes for extra flavor and garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!