This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When it comes to Mexican food, I could probably eat my weight in it, I'm not even kidding. My guys get tired of asking me where I want to go out to eat, if and when we do go out…my choice is always Mexican.
That's pretty much the reason why anytime I make a whole chicken (or, in this case, a turkey), chicken enchiladas are a must with the leftovers.
I've shared a slow cooker enchilada casserole recipe in the past, but this recipe is quite a bit different with fresher, slightly healthier ingredients. This skillet casserole is super easy to make; you basically layer all the ingredients together in an iron skillet and bake.
Don't you just love cooking in an iron skillet? I didn't realize how much I love it until more recently.
TIPS FOR HOW TO MAKE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
An iron skillet is so versatile, not to mention photogenic. I almost feel like I'm going back to my days on the farm when I bring out the iron skillet.
The one thing I wanted to eliminate from this casserole was cream soup.
There are some ingredients that are easier to eliminate than others, but I found success by substituting sour cream. It was a tip I picked up via Heavenly Homemakers; they have an entire list of substitutions you can make for cream soups.
I think this casserole was even better with the sour cream than with the cream of chicken soup I usually use. If you want low-fat, you could even go that route with the sour cream. If you like creamy enchiladas, you're sure to love this recipe.
The recipe is fairly simple to make.
- Sauté the onion and green chilies.
- Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Add shredded turkey. Mix together well.
- Then layer everything in the skillet.
Serve with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, and anything else you prefer.
A printable recipe, including full instructions, is available below. Use up those leftovers in a very enjoyable way!
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 3 cups shredded turkey, or chicken
- 2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 10 small corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in skillet. Sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add green chilies and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add cream cheese and let melt. Add sour cream and salsa, stirring to combine.
- Add shredded turkey, mixing well with other ingredients. Keep warm.
- Shred cheese and set aside.
- Stack corn tortillas and slice in half. Then cut into 1-inch strips.
- Begin layering ingredients in iron skillet. Begin with thin layer of creamy turkey mixture. Add layer of tortilla strips, then a thicker layer of creamy turkey mixture, then cheese. Repeat layers, starting with tortilla strips and ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes, or until cooked thru and cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, and whatever else you enjoy with enchiladas. Enjoy!
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 920 Total Fat: 66g Saturated Fat: 36g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 256mg Sodium: 1147mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 55g