This post may feature affiliate links or partner companies. Read our full disclosure policy .
When it comes to Mexican food, I could probably eat my weight in it, I’m not even kidding. My guys get tired of asking me where I want to go out to eat, if and when we do go out…my choice is always Mexican. That’s pretty much the reason why anytime I make a whole chicken (or, in this case, a turkey), enchiladas are a must with the leftovers. I’ve shared a slow cooker enchilada casserole recipe in the past, but this recipe is quite a bit different with fresher, slightly healthier ingredients. This skillet casserole is super easy to make; you basically layer all the ingredients together in an iron skillet and bake. It’s so de-lish!
Don’t you just love cooking in an iron skillet? I didn’t realize how much I love it until more recently. An iron skillet is so versatile, not to mention photogenic. I almost feel like I’m going back to my days on the farm when I bring out the iron skillet.
The one thing I wanted to eliminate from this casserole was cream soup. There are some ingredients that are easier to eliminate than others, but I found success by substituting sour cream. It was a tip I picked up via Heavenly Homemakers; they have an entire list of substitutions you can make for cream soups. I think this casserole was even better with the sour cream than with the cream of chicken soup I usually use. If you want low-fat, you could even go that route with the sour cream. If you like creamy enchiladas, you’re sure to love this recipe.
The recipe is fairly simple to make. Sauté the onion and green chilies. Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Add shredded turkey. Mix together well. Then layer everything in the skillet. Serve with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, and anything else you prefer. A printable recipe, including full instructions, is available below. Use up those leftovers in a very enjoyable way!
Turkey Enchilada Skillet Casserole
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 1/2 large onion finely chopped
- 1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chilies drained
- 1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 3 cups shredded turkey or chicken
- 2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Colby Jack cheese shredded
- 10 small corn tortillas sliced into strips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in skillet. Sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add green chilies and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add cream cheese and let melt. Add sour cream and salsa, stirring to combine.
- Add shredded turkey, mixing well with other ingredients. Keep warm.
- Shred cheese and set aside.
- Stack corn tortillas and slice in half. Then cut into 1-inch strips.
- Begin layering ingredients in iron skillet. Begin with thin layer of creamy turkey mixture. Add layer of tortilla strips, then a thicker layer of creamy turkey mixture, then cheese. Repeat layers, starting with tortilla strips and ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes, or until cooked thru and cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, and whatever else you enjoy with enchiladas. Enjoy!