Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake, a scrumptious cake mix recipe
Take gooey butter cake to a whole new level with this yummy pumpkin dessert filled with ooey gooey, buttery, cream cheese goodness.
Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake is a spinoff of one of my favorite desserts. Growing up in St. Louis, gooey butter cake was really popular (I love St. Louis foods); in fact, you can find the best St. Louis gooey butter cake at Soulard Market.
There's just something really yummy about cream cheese mixed together with butter and powdered sugar. And then, of course, there's the chewy crust and the crackle-y top, probably my favorite things about this dessert.
To make this cake mix dessert recipe:
It really only takes a few ingredients to make Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake. You do want to make sure you have a yellow cake mix, which you'll use for the crust.
To make the crust, just mix together the cake mix, pumpkin pie spice, softened butter, and eggs. It'll form a stiff batter, which you'll smooth into an un-greased cake pan.
Then for the filling, just mix together an egg, softened cream cheese and butter, pumpkin purée, and powdered sugar. This will be a much thinner batter, which you'll pour over the crust in the cake pan.
Then just bake. Once it's baked and cooled just a bit, you'll sprinkle it with powdered sugar for the finished look.
In the mood for more pumpkin recipes?
Kitchen tools and items used to make this dessert:
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer – I use mine for pretty much everything I bake. It's quite handy with mixing both the crust and the cake for this recipe.
- Spatula – for scraping the bowl.
- Pumpkin – I used canned pumpkin for this cake. You'll need about 1/2 cup of pumpkin purée.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend – This you'll add to the crust to give it a pumpkin spice kick.
- 9″ x 13″ Cake Pan – No need to grease.
Print the recipe for Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake!
Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 stick salted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg
- 1 package cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 4 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- To make the crust, mix together the cake mix and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add softened butter and 2 eggs, mixing well.
- Spread the mixture into a 9" x 13" un-greased baking pan.
- To make the filling, mix together the egg, cream cheese, butter, and pumpkin purée.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, mixing well.
- Spread the filling onto the crust as a second layer.
- Bake at 350° for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out barely gooey.
- Upon removal from the oven, let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Then sprinkle powdered sugar over the top and serve. Enjoy!