How to make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice for all your favorite recipes and desserts, including cookies, cakes, breads, pies, and more. Easy DIY mix!
You're right in the middle of making Grandma's pumpkin pie recipe, and you realize you're completely out of pumpkin pie spice. Believe me when I say, been there done that.
But I have a really quick and easy solution for you. Provided you already have just a handful of spices in your pantry, you can make your own pumpkin pie spice in a cinch.
If you've ever smelled the scent of pumpkin pie seasoning, you can tell it contains something more than just cinnamon and allspice. In fact, if you read the label on a jar of pumpkin spice seasoning, you'll see it contains a few very simple fall spices, including cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
5 ingredients and 5 minutes are all it takes to make pumpkin spice mix you can use in all your favorite fall and Thanksgiving recipes.
As long as you store your homemade pumpkin spice blend in an airtight container or spice jar that closes tight, it can last you 2 to 3 years.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE ACTUAL RECIPE CARD?
If you’d rather skip all of my spice mixing tips, important info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the DIY pumpkin pie spice recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
PUMPKIN SPICE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Keep in mind, all of the ingredient amounts you’ll need are in the printable recipe card below.
KITCHEN TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED:
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE FROM SCRATCH
Making homemade pumpkin pie spice is as simple, quick, and easy as whisking up your ingredients.
- Place the ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and ground cloves in a small bowl.
- Whisk everything together until well blended.
IS HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE GLUTEN-FREE?
Homemade pumpkin spice mix is only gluten-free if you use gluten-free spices and seasonings. There can be cross-contamination, so always make sure your ingredients are labeled gluten-free.
WHAT FLAVORS GO WELL WITH PUMPKIN SPICE?
A lot of ingredients pair well with this pumpkin pie spice blend.
Think fall flavors like pumpkin (of course), apple, vanilla, cream cheese, almonds, pecans, walnuts, oats, and more.
You might even spice things up with a little bit of Cajun spice or hot pepper blend.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE BEST SPICES?
You can find good spices at just about any grocery store, including Walmart.
Personally, I love using Badia spices and seasonings, which I order on Amazon, because all of their single spices are gluten-free (always check labels to be sure). Their spices and seasonings are excellent quality too.
If you want to save money overall, buying in bulk is probably the option for you. Check local health food stores, Whole Foods, etc., because a lot of them will offer bulk spices you can go in and bag yourself. You might also check a bulk food store like Costco or Sam's Club.
GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPE
If you love this homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Aozita 24 Pcs Glass Spice Jars/Bottles – 4oz Empty Square Spice Containers with 612 Spice Labels
- The Great Big Pumpkin Cookbook
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
- Spice Rack with 36 Empty Square Spice Jars, 396 Spice Labels – Countertop, Cabinet or Wall Mount
- Hallmark Keepsake 2020, Disney Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas Pumpkin King Miniature Tree Topper, 4.14″
- Progressive International Prepworks SEASONING KEEPERS, 2 Piece, Clear
- 328 Printed Spice Jar and Pantry Label Set – Chalkboard 1.5″ Round Stickers – Includes Extra Write-on Labels
- Yankee Candle Large Jar Candle, Pumpkin Pie
- 12 Magnetic Spice Tins & 2 Types of Spice Labels