This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Making a pumpkin roll has sorta become a Thanksgiving tradition around our place
Pumpkin roll is one of our family’s favorite Thanksgiving desserts. While it may seem a bit complicated and difficult, a pumpkin roll really isn’t all that difficult to make.
I actually adapted this particular recipe from a recipe we found a long time ago in a vintage recipe collection we used to have called My Great Recipes. It was a collection given to us by a friend, and all the recipes were on cards in long, brown, plastic, see-through containers.
When we did a big purge and got rid of a few things, I held on to this particular recipe card because it makes such a scrumptious pumpkin roll. I just couldn’t bear to part with it.
Honestly, I wish I’d kept the whole kit and kaboodle of recipes (sigh). Live and learn, I guess.
How to Mix Up and Bake a Pumpkin Roll
Below is a printable recipe, without photos, for your convenience. However, I thought it’d be nice to show you how to actually make the pumpkin roll. Come on, let’s get started.
The first step is to combine the eggs and sugar. Then add the pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing until blended.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt to a sifter; I like to sift the dry ingredients together because that’s how my mama trained me… Sift those dry ingredients!
Once sifted, add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, mixing well.
Spread the batter into a cookie sheet lined with greased waxed paper. The recipe calls for a jelly-roll pan, but a cookie sheet works just fine. Bake the pumpkin roll at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
How to Assemble a Pumpkin Roll
Place the pumpkin roll on a clean tea towel, and cool for 10 minutes longer. After seeing other pumpkin rolls on Pinterest, I decided sprinkling powdered sugar on my towel was the perfect way to give it an even prettier, more festive, almost snowy look.
After allowing to cool, roll the cake up in the towel. Set aside while you mix up the cream cheese filling.
Once your filling is mixed up and creamy smooth, unroll the cake and spread the filling on the cake.
Then roll the cake back up into a scrumptious pumpkin roll.
Wrap it in plastic wrap and cool in the fridge for about an hour.
Slice when ready to serve, but keep leftovers in the fridge. Mmmm…. mmmm…. such a yummy, moist, sponge-like cake roll! The cream cheese filling is the BEST!
More pumpkin recipes you may enjoy:
- Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
- Classic Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
- Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Pear Spice Cake
Enjoy this delicious holiday dessert!
Scrumptious Pumpkin Roll
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar.
- Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing until blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, mixing well.
- Spread batter into cookie sheet lined with greased wax paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for another 15 minutes.
- Place the cake on a clean tea towel sprinkled with extra powdered sugar. Cool 10 minutes longer.
- Roll the cake up in the towel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Beat together softened cream cheese and butter.
- Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and caramel extract, blending until smooth.
- Unroll the cake and evenly spread the filling over it.
- Roll up the cake (remove the towel).
- Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Slice before serving and enjoy! Keep leftover slices refrigerated.
Be sure to Pin this scrumptious holiday recipe for future reference!