This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
My mom used to make gooey butter cake when I was growing up, and it was always so good. It’s the perfect mix of chewy, creamy deliciousness. The original recipe I found came from a school cookbook (from my elementary school), but I kinda changed it up a bit because I didn’t have exactly what was needed…. Enjoy!
Looking for more scrumptious cake recipes?
Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 box white cake mix the original called for a yellow butter cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- Melt butter; beat 2 eggs and mix together. Mix in with cake mix. Spread in 13x9 inch ungreased pan.
- Mix these ingredients together until smooth: 2 eggs, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. Spread on as second layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out barely gooey.