This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Growing up, I remember my mom would make donuts, just out of the blue. Now that I’m grown and I know what goes into creating a recipe, I really think she had to be in the mood to make the donuts because donut making didn’t happen very often. It seemed like they were a LOT of work. Her favorite kind of donuts were the ones you dipped in sugar while they were still warm. Mmmm, so good! Eventually, I may have to try those. But lately, my chocolate tooth (aka, sweet tooth with a chocolate fetish), has been craving chocolate donuts big time. I probably shouldn’t oblige said chocolate tooth, but it had to happen sooner or later. The result of my cravings? These yummy chocolate glazed donuts.
Chocolate donuts don’t last long in the Lockcuff household; in fact, they disappeared rather quickly. Lucky for me, these were super easy to make. Ingredients do include sour cream, and they have a more cake-like, whoopie pie type of texture. I really want to make them just a bit lighter next time, but they really are quite yummy just the way they are.
After rolling out the dough and cutting each donut, we used a wok to fry the donuts. Then after draining the donuts on paper bags, I dipped them in a simple powdered sugar glaze while still a bit warm (but cool enough to handle). Let them drip on a wire rack, and eventually the glaze will harden to a deliciously sweet, slightly crispy outer covering on the surface of each donut. Yummo!
Below you’ll find a printable recipe. Enjoy!
Looking for more sweet breakfast treats?
- Easy Bisquick Cinnamon Biscuits
- Traditional Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Pear Crumble Muffins
- Strawberry Blackberry Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Bread
- Easy Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Apple Donut Holes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. salted butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- Milk, to desired consistency
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla, and sour cream to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut donuts with donut cutter or cup.
- Heat 1-2 inches of canola oil in large skillet (or wok).
- Fry each donut in hot canola oil, cooking one side and turning to cook the other side. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until done.
- Drain on paper that will absorb the excess grease; brown paper lunch sacks work great!
- While still warm but cool enough to handle, dip in glaze and allow to drip dry on wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 to 1-1/2 dozen
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 274mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g