You know you've been there. You buy a bunch of fruit (pears, in this instance) just because it's on sale; you have the best of intentions for it. You tell yourself the kids will eat it all for snacks or lunch sides; you may even have plans for baking.
Then a week or so later, you start to notice the fruit basket isn't emptying quite as fast as you'd hoped. In fact, the pears now need eaten or used before they completely rot away. Story.of.my.life.
While my kids do eat loads of fresh fruit, it's never as much as I'd hoped or thought they might eat when I buy a bunch of stuff that's on sale. Life happens, we get busy, and the basket still sits there…full of fruit just waiting to be eaten or used up before it ruins.
The situation definitely calls for something homemade. And muffins or sweet breads are one of the easiest, most delicious things to make with fresh fruit.
These particular Caramel Pear Crumble Muffins are probably the most delicious muffins I've had in awhile. So tasty and my guys loved them too.
The muffins themselves have a hint of caramel and spice. The topping is a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and butter; it gives a crunchy sweetness to the muffin.
Below you'll find a printable recipe. Bake up a batch, slather with a little bit of butter, and enjoy!
Looking for more homemade muffin or sweet bread recipes?
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. caramel extract
- 2 tbsp. apple butter
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 large pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Crumble Topping -
- 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, caramel extract, apple butter, and milk. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients, including baking powder, salt, apple pie spice, and flour, to mixture. Mix well.
- Wash pears, and peel, core, and chop. Add to mixture.
- For crumble topping, mix all ingredients together.
- Add paper liners to muffin tin and fill with dough. Crumble topping on top.
- Bake muffins at 375° for about 25-30 minutes, or until muffins begin to turn golden on top and toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 4g