This post may feature affiliate links or partner companies. Read our full disclosure policy .
Originally, I meant to get this recipe up in September, but when you’re utterly and completely sick to your stomach for weeks (er, months) on end, food is the absolute last thing you EVER want to look at, let alone write about unless you absolutely have to. While I’m still dealing with the yucks somewhat (oh, but I know the end reward will be worth it), I’m calling it and posting this recipe anyway. And you know why? You deserve to make this recipe while you’re still craving caramel apple everything. Back when my taste buds were still in good working order, these donut holes were AH-MAZING.These are a quick rise yeast donut, fried in a deep fryer. I know, not the healthiest, but every once in awhile, it’s ok to enjoy a simple treat. Simple ingredients led to a delicious fall treat that I honestly can’t wait to make again. In fact, I may take this recipe, switch it up, and make a fantastic baked sweet bread. Who can tell? Just let me get my tummy back in order, and a recipe will be coming your way.
Let’s just talk about the icing, though. I happen to be a fan of Krispy Kreme and the wonderful, flaky, melt-in-your-mouth icing they use on their glazed donuts. In trying to emulate the texture and consistency of their icing, this icing turned out quite well. Quite the copycat if I do say so myself. When you bite into the donut holes, the icing flakes and gives that deliciously crunchy effect. So yummy!
Grab the printable recipe below. And most of all, enjoy!
Looking for more sweet breakfast treats?
- Easy Bisquick Cinnamon Biscuits
- Traditional Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Pear Crumble Muffins
- Strawberry Blackberry Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Bread
- Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- Easy Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls
Caramel Apple Donut Holes
- 3-4 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. caramel extract
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup real apple juice
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- In separate bowl, mix together softened unsalted butter, milk, eggs, and caramel extract.
- Blend with dry ingredients.
- Let dough rise for an hour or more, 'til doubled in size.
- Roll dough out onto floured surface, and cut with donut/donut hole cutter. (TIP: If you don't have a donut hole cutter, cut the top off a plastic soda bottle and wash. Use the opening of the soda bottle to cut out donut holes, works like a charm!)
- Place donuts on cookie sheet and let rise 'til doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, mix up icing, blending all ingredients together.
- Fry at 350° or at the direction of your deep fryer instruction manual. You could also fry in a skillet in a couple inches of oil.
- Let donuts/donut holes drain on paper bags.
- While still warm, dip in icing.
- Set on rack over wax paper to drip and cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love donuts and want more donut inspiration? Follow me on Pinterest where I love to Pin all the donuts!