This post may feature affiliate links or partner companies. Read our full disclosure policy .
My mom used to make poke cake, or Jello cake as we called it, every spring and summer. It seemed to be one of her favorite things to make, and all of us loved when she made it. She’d pour cherry or strawberry Jello over the cake and top it off with whipped topping. Then she’d put it in the fridge and let it get ice cold. It was such a refreshing dessert and so scrumptious! With her cake in mind, I decided to kinda take a different twist and make poke cake cupcakes. I think these may become a regular favorite, because even my non sweets loving husband loved these.
These cupcakes could be made any time of year with any flavor of Jello… though I did purposely use lime, so we could have green for St. Patrick’s Day. They’re super easy to make.
Yes, you could make these homemade, but using a cake mix just saves time; it’s quick and easy. Once your cupcakes have baked, remove from the oven and let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Then poke the middle of each cupcake with a fork just a few times. Add 3-4 small spoons of Jello over the middle of each cupcake, being careful not to let it run down the sides; it actually will soak into the cupcake if you’ve used a fork to poke holes in it. It will give each cupcake a surprise green color in the middle, perfect for St. Patty’s Day. The lime combined with the vanilla is pretty yummy too.
Finally, when the cupcakes have completely cooled, add a simple powdered sugar or buttercream frosting.
Once they’re frosted, chill them in the fridge. When you’re ready for dessert, serve and enjoy! Below you’ll find a printable recipe.
Lime Vanilla Poke Cake Cupcakes
Poke Cake Cupcakes:
- 1 French Vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Lime Jello mix 3 oz.
- 1/2 cup cold water</br>
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp. skim milk
- Mix cake mix and bake according to package directions.
- When fully baked, remove from oven and let cool 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix Jello with boiling water; then add cold water, mixing well.
- Poke top middle of each cupcake with fork, 4-5 times.
- Slowly pour 3-4 spoons of Jello mixture over middle of each cupcake, careful to not let it run over the sides.
- Allow cupcakes to finish cooling.
- Mix all ingredients for buttercream frosting.
- Top each cupcake with frosting.
- Chill cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!