Chocolate Chip Pancakes – How to make a small batch of heart shaped chocolate chip pancakes from scratch. Fun recipe for Valentine's Day, birthdays, Mother's Day, and more!
Valentine's Day is just around the corner and after that, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and all those celebratory family holidays. Chocolate chip pancakes and heart shaped buttermilk pancakes are the perfect way to say “I love you” to the ones you love.
All you need are a few ingredients and a heart shaped cookie cutter. Then you can make a small batch of the most festive pancakes ever.
I love that this pancake recipe is an eggless pancake recipe. Instead of eggs, I like to sub in unsweetened applesauce.
This chocolate chip pancake recipe makes a fluffy pancake full of chocolatey goodness.
If you love cooking pancakes for breakfast, you'll love these blueberry buttermilk pancakes and apple cinnamon pancakes. And if you want to make more pancake art, you can make dinosaur shaped strawberry buttermilk pancakes.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE RECIPE FOR HEART SHAPED CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES?
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the scrumptious chocolate chip pancake recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
TIPS FOR HOW TO MAKE PANCAKES FROM SCRATCH
Making buttermilk pancakes with chocolate chips is super easy. But first you have to learn how to make pancake batter.
- Sift your dry ingredients into a batter bowl or mixing bowl.
- Make a depression or well right in the center of those dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Then add the applesauce, buttermilk, and canola oil to the well. Since this is a pancake recipe without eggs, I sub in applesauce.
- Mix everything together just until it’s blended; try not to over mix.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK
Thankfully, you don't even have to buy buttermilk. You can easily make it with just 2 simple ingredients and a good stir.
My mom taught me this little trick when I was younger.
Just add about a tablespoon of distilled white vinegar to a cup or two of milk; I usually use a tablespoon for every 1 to 2 cups of milk.
Stir and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
And that’s it! You’ve got the buttermilk, or sour milk, you need for your recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING HEART SHAPED PANCAKES
My mom used oil for cooking instead of cooking spray, or you could probably use butter. But it's much easier to just use cooking spray because you'll need to spray both the cookie cutter and griddle for every pancake.
Place the greased cookie cutter on the griddle, and spoon the pancake batter into the cookie cutter. You don't want the batter to be too thick, so try to spread the batter out to the edges with your spoon.
Cook the pancake for about 1 to 2 minutes, and then you can just remove the cutter; it should slip right off the pancake.
Then cook the pancake another couple minutes and flip it. The key is to cook both sides until they're a nice golden brown color.
When your pancakes are all cooked, you can serve them with strawberry jam, strawberry sauce, raspberry sauce, fresh raspberries, whipped cream, maple syrup, and whatever else your heart desires. They're so yummy!
HANDY TIPS FOR MAKING PANCAKES
TIP #1 – Some pancake batters will start to dimple, and that’s when you know to flip the pancakes. However, like my favorite butterbeer pancakes from scratch, this pancake batter is pretty thick, so it doesn’t usually dimple for me.
MORE VALENTINE RECIPES AND HEART SHAPED TREATS YOU MAY ENJOY:
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE HEART SHAPED PANCAKES FROM SCRATCH:
Mixing Bowl – My handled mixing bowl is one of my favorites, and it works well for mixing up pancake batter.
Pancake Batter Dispenser – I’ve been eyeing this, especially for cupcakes and muffins; but it’d be handy for pancakes too.
Pancake Turner – I recommend a spatula with a wide base for flipping pancakes.
HEART SHAPED CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES RECIPE
If you love this chocolate chip pancake recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
Heart Shaped Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a batter bowl or mixing bowl.
- Make a depression or well with your spoon in the center of those dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Add the applesauce, buttermilk, and canola oil to the well.
- Stir everything together just until moistened. The batter will be quite thick.
- Lightly spray the griddle ,as well as the cookie cutter or pancake mold, with cooking spray, and heat to a moderate temperature.
- Place the greased cookie cutter on the griddle, and spoon the pancake batter into the cookie cutter, spreading the batter out to the edges with your spoon.
- Cook the pancake for about 1 to 2 minutes, and then you can just remove the cutter.
- Cook the pancake another couple minutes and flip it. Allow it to cook on low to medium heat until the edges begin to turn a golden color.
- When your pancakes are cooked through, serve them while warm.*