This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
French Toast – My favorite French toast recipe is so easy and simple to make. It's a classic cinnamon breakfast treat that's oh so delicious. How to make the best French toast on the planet!
French toast has always been an occasional breakfast treat, more of a weekend treat, for us. Like blueberry pancakes, we usually serve it up with a slab of butter, maple syrup, and a side of bacon.
Just thinking about this easy French toast recipe is making my mouth water. It really is that good.
All you need are a few simple ingredients. I do use eggs and milk for this recipe; I also add a dash of vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon.
As for the bread, you can use just about any type of bread you want. I used a thinner Buttermilk Bread, not as thick as Texas Toast, but every bit as good.
We also greased our skillet with just a dab of bacon grease. You can use whatever type of cooking oil you prefer.
If you'd rather have French toast in casserole form, you'll love this deliciously easy French toast casserole and this apple French toast bake. Baked brioche French toast and slow cooker French toast are more family favorite breakfast recipes.
Our absolute favorite is this overnight blueberry French toast. So delicious!
Tips for how to make the best French toast recipe ever:
First things first, gather all of your ingredients together, so you're all set to cook. You'll need the bread of your choice, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, and the oil of your choice.
Beat together the eggs and milk until you have a creamy yellow mixture. Whisk in the vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon.
Rub about a teaspoon of bacon grease or oil all over the top of your griddle.
Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture, and immediately place it on the hot griddle.
Cook each side until the bread turns a nice golden brown, and then flip it over to cook the other side, letting it turn a nice golden brown, as well. It'll probably take about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Repeat the above step for all of your bread slices. Tip: Keep all of them warm by placing them on a cookie sheet in a warm oven.
Just serve it up with a little butter and maple syrup, and you're in for a delicious breakfast treat.
Alternative options for a deliciously easy French toast recipe:
- Try adding other spices, like pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, apple pie spice, etc.
- Use heavy whipping cream instead of milk for a creamier texture.
- Try using a flavored coffee creamer for a rich, delicious flavor.
- Use maple extract or caramel extract for an alternative flavor.
- Dip the bread slices in an eggnog mixture, especially for a festive twist during the holiday season.
More pancake recipes you may enjoy:
- Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes
- Strawberry Buttermilk Dinosaur Pancakes
- Heart Shaped Buttermilk Pancakes
Kitchen tools you may need to make this recipe:
Whisk – A whisk will help to easily blend the dry ingredients into the milk/egg mixture without clumps.
Iron Griddle – You can use whatever type of skillet you prefer; we love using our flat round iron griddle for this.
Flipper Spatula – This is a must for flipping the bread over on the griddle.
Wanna see how to make this recipe? Watch our video!
- 8 slices bread
- 6 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease or cooking oil
- Beat together the eggs and milk until you have a creamy yellow mixture.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon.
- Rub about a teaspoon of bacon grease or cooking oil all over the top of your griddle.
- Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture, and immediately place it on the hot griddle.
- Cook each side until the bread turns a nice golden brown, and then flip it over to cook the other side, letting it turn a nice golden brown, as well. It'll probably take about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Repeat the above step for all of your bread slices. Tip: Keep them warm by placing them on a cookie sheet in a warm oven.
- Serve the warm slices with butter and maple syrup. You can dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 225mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g