Don't you just love berry season? It seems like it came early this year here in our little corner of Arkansas. Every year around this time I have to make all the things with delicious fresh-picked strawberries, including strawberry cream pie, strawberry freezer jam, and strawberry shortcake. Because who doesn't love a good old-fashioned strawberry shortcake, especially when it involves Grandma's biscuits?
And of course, the star of the show… Red, juicy strawberries.
Speaking of Grandma's Biscuits…
For as long as I can remember, Grandma kept a slip of paper taped to the inside of her cabinet door. That slip of paper held her favorite biscuit recipe, handwritten in her own handwriting. My mom now has that same slip of paper taped to the inside of her cabinet door. And I'm considering writing out the recipe and taping it to the inside of our cabinet.
We love making these biscuits. They can be rolled out or dropped. For this particular recipe, I actually grabbed spoonfuls and shaped them by hand, so they were more like drop biscuits. I also added in a teaspoon of sugar just to add a li'l sweetness to the recipe since I planned to use them for strawberry shortcake.
Gobs of Creamy Whipped Cream
Before I actually created this recipe, I had this idea to add cream cheese to the homemade whipped cream I planned to make. Dan wasn't sure it would work; frankly, I wasn't either. But like I've said before, cream cheese is one of my favorite ingredients. Ever.
Well, it worked. The whipped cream is so creamy and flavorful. It definitely adds a special touch to the shortcake.
Print the Recipe for Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake with Grandma's Biscuits
Below is the printable recipe for this scrumptious old-fashioned strawberry shortcake using Grandma's biscuits. Enjoy!
- Biscuits -
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Whipped Cream -
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Strawberries, washed and sliced
- For the biscuits, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to blend flour mixture together with cold sliced butter. Continue until mixture is well blended.
- Add milk to mixture, and mix well. You should be left with a somewhat sticky but still manageable dough.
- Grab spoonfuls of dough and shape into biscuits about 3/4 inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425° for about 15-20 minutes, or until tops are beginning to turn golden.
- Meanwhile, wash strawberries.
- Mix together cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar to form a whipped cream.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, slice a biscuit in half.
- Place bottom half of biscuit on plate. Add a layer of sliced strawberries, followed by a generous layer of whipped cream, then another layer of sliced strawberries. Top with the top half of the biscuit.
- Add a small dollop of whipped cream to the top, followed by a whole strawberry.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g