This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Low Carb Sausage Egg Muffins – Make ahead for an easy, healthy breakfast both for you and your kids. Freezable, simple ingredients, quick and delicious recipe!
We pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast every single morning, but sometimes we just need to switch it up. These sausage egg muffins, filled with sausage, bell pepper, cheddar, pepper jack, and basil, are an easy way to do that.
Like bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast muffins, this egg muffin recipe is bursting with incredible flavor. It also makes a very fluffy egg muffin cup.
Eat them with a fork, or eat them with your fingers, making them the perfect breakfast on the go. They’re quick, low carb, and healthy, giving you a boost of protein to start your day off right.
I JUST WANT THE RECIPE! TAKE ME TO THE RECIPE FOR LOW CARB SAUSAGE EGG MUFFINS!
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious low carb sausage egg muffins recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
CAN YOU MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE BREAKFAST MUFFINS WITH EGGS?
Yes, you can. In fact, you can make enough for a couple weeks in a very short amount of time.
- Make a batch or two of sausage and egg muffins and allow them to cool.
- Then place them all in a freezer bag or freezer tight container and freeze for easy breakfasts all week.
- When morning comes, simply warm them up in the microwave or the oven, whichever your preference.
TIPS FOR HOW TO BAKE EGGS IN A MUFFIN TIN
Baking eggs in a muffin tin is actually really easy, even when you have multiple ingredients you’re trying to fit in each small muffin cup.
- Make sure all of your ingredients are ready first… Sausage (or bacon or ham) is cooked, peppers and onions are sautéed, cheese is shredded, veggies are washed and ready, and eggs are whipped up with either heavy whipping cream or milk.
- Spray the muffin pan with cooking spray before adding any ingredients to it.
- Start by adding solid ingredients, like your meat, vegetables, cheese, etc.
- Then pour the egg mixture into the muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full; this will leave a little room for expansion in baking.
- Then bake the sausage egg muffins, following your recipe instructions.
HOW TO TELL WHEN EGG MUFFINS ARE DONE
You’ll be able to tell when your egg muffins are done by both sight and touch. They’ll be fluffy and not jiggly in the middle.
Of course, if you really want to make sure the eggs are cooked through, you can always use a cooking thermometer to check the temperature. According to the Egg Safety Center, any type of quiche or egg casserole should reach a temperature of 160°F.
IF YOU LOVE THIS SAUSAGE EGG MUFFINS RECIPE, TRY SOME OF OUR OTHER BREAKFAST FAVORITES:
WAYS YOU CAN CHANGE UP BAKED EGG MUFFINS
- Add minced onions.
- Or if you like them better, add chopped green onions.
- Add chopped up spinach to the egg mixture.
- Use smoked cheese or Queso Fresco in place of cheddar, colby jack, or pepper jack.
- Add a different type of meat, like ham or bacon.
- Or go meatless.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE EGG MUFFINS WITH SAUSAGE:
Cooking Thermometer (optional)
LOW CARB SAUSAGE EGG MUFFINS RECIPE
If you love this low carb sausage egg muffins recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
Low Carb Sausage Egg Muffins
Low carb sausage egg muffins you can make ahead for an easy, healthy breakfast both for you and your kids. Freezable, simple, and delicious!
Pre-heat your oven to 375°.
Add the butter to a large skillet, and turn the heat on medium heat.
Wash and mince the bell pepper, and add to the melted butter. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the peppers begin to soften.
Add the sausage to your skillet, and mix in with the peppers.
Stir in the chopped basil leaves, and cook the sausage thoroughly.
Remove the sausage and pepper mixture from the heat, and drain well.
Meanwhile, shred both cheeses and set aside.
Whisk together the eggs, heavy whipping cream, salt, and black pepper.
Put 1 to 2 tablespoons of sausage in the bottom of each muffin cup.
Then add a layer of both kinds of cheese.
Pour the whipped egg mixture over your sausage and cheese, filling each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full.
Bake at 375° for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the egg muffins are fluffy, not jiggly, and have come to temperature.*
Allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before running a table knife around the edges of your muffin cups; then pop out the muffins onto a wire rack.
Serve immediately and enjoy!**
*You don't want your egg muffins to get too brown, but you do want to make sure they're thoroughly cooked through.
**You can serve them immediately, or you can refrigerate or freeze them. Then pop them in the microwave in the morning, and enjoy a warm breakfast with hardly any effort! They're perfect for a quick, on the go, healthy breakfast!