Southern Green Beans, made with bacon, onion, and ground beef in the Instant Pot. Delicious side dish recipe, perfect for holidays or weeknight meals.
Southern Green Beans are the most flavorful green beans you'll ever enjoy. With bacon, onion, and ground beef, the flavors are incredible. Pressure cooked in the Instant Pot, they're so tender and delicious, not to mention easy to make.
They're reminiscent of the green beans my grandma used to make for every single holiday get together. Also, the fact that I live in Arkansas… That warrants a Southern recipe or two, right? I think so.
This recipe really only uses 6 ingredients, so it's a pretty simple recipe. The most work is cooking up the bacon and ground beef beforehand. Otherwise, just throw all the ingredients in the Instant Pot, give them a stir, pop the lid on, and cook.
Meaning you can throw it all together and walk away and focus on doing something else (like play a quick game with the kids or keep the laundry going).
Tips for how to make Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
- Chop a medium sized onion.
- Cook ground beef and onion together in a large skillet.
- Meanwhile, also cook bacon in another large skillet.
- When ground beef/onion mixture is done, drain well.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add frozen green beans, ground beef/onion mixture, crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and water to the Instant Pot.
- Give it all a good stir.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot.
- Cook on Manual for 25 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release.
- Serve while warm. We've eaten this as both a side dish and a main dish. So good!
More side dish recipes you may enjoy…
- Honey Glazed Carrots with Rosemary
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Funeral Potatoes
- Creamy Bacon Corn Casserole
- Apple Walnut Bread Stuffing
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Easy Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
You may also want to check out my list of The Best Thanksgiving Recipes for Your Holiday Menu and The Best Christmas Recipes for Your Holiday Celebrations for plenty more inspiration. And if you're wondering what to make for Easter dinner, I've gotcha covered.
Tools you may need to make Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
Cutting Board and Knife – for chopping the onions and crumbling the bacon.
Large Skillet – You'll need to cook both the ground beef and the bacon.
Wood Spatula – Use for cooking the ground beef.
Instant Pot – We have the 6-Quart Instant Pot, without the yogurt function. We love it.
Serving Bowl – This will allow for easier (and prettier) serving than just from the Instant Pot.
Print the recipe for Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir the minced onion into the olive oil and sauté 'til the onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the ground beef together with the onion in the skillet and cook.
- When the ground beef mixture is done, drain well.
- Add the ground beef mixture, frozen green beans, crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and water to the Instant Pot.
- Give it all a good stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the vent to "Sealed," and cook on Manual (or Pressure Cook) for 15 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release.
- Serve while warm and enjoy!