This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Valentine’s Day is almost here, and these little treats are the perfect homemade gift and easy to make too. Growing up, my dad loved his chocolate covered cherries, especially at Christmas time, one reason I’m adding this recipe to my list of The Best Christmas Recipes for Your Holiday Celebrations. We’d get him a box every single year, and if we didn’t, he’d buy his own. One year, I made him a batch of homemade; but this year, I decided to make some for Valentine’s Day instead.
These chocolate covered cherries are filled with a creamy white filling and, of course, Maraschino cherries. I used a candy mold purchased from Amazon. I also used Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers, which I found at our grocery store.
Looking for more festive sweet treats?
- Yummy Snowman Marshmallow Pops
- Rice Krispies Snowman and Christmas Tree
- Snowman in a Pudding Cup
- Ritz Cracker Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Covered Almond Coconut Trees
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pops
Below you’ll find a printable recipe. Enjoy!
Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries
- The first step is to make the creamy white filling for the chocolate covered cherries. Start by melting butter, then add in vanilla and almond extract. Mix in powdered sugar and milk, starting with 1 tbsp. milk and adding more as needed to get filling to just a slightly thicker consistency. You want the filling to be somewhat thin but thick enough to not make a complete mess when you go to fill the candy mold.
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions. I found it helpful, at this point, to then add my chocolate to a decorating bottle; I did the same with the creamy filling.
- Start by adding a bit of chocolate to the bottom of your candy mold. Then add a whole cherry or piece of a cherry, depending on the size of your candy mold. Add a bit of the white creamy filling, probably about 1/2-1 tsp. Then finish off with the melted chocolate, surrounding the cherry and creamy filling.
- Once all candy sections are filled, place candy mold in freezer for 5-10 minutes or until candy is set. Pop out of candy mold and serve. Enjoy!