This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy homemade biscuits from scratch using only 5 simple ingredients. Quick recipe that's perfect for both breakfast and dinner.
Easy homemade biscuits can be paired with just about any meal and sometimes even dessert; they're absolutely perfect with strawberry freezer jam, apple jelly, or blackberry jam. Though we're more careful about how much bread we consume these days, I always start to crave these in cooler weather.
Grandma's biscuit recipe has been my mainstay for awhile now. She used to keep the recipe taped, on a small piece of notebook paper, to the inside of her cabinet door next to the stove. Since my mom now has that little slip of paper on the inside of her cabinet door (Grandma's handwriting and all), I had to take a picture of it on a recent visit so I'd have it.
While I've tweaked the recipe just a pinch (I've added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt, I use butter instead of shortening, and I use 1 cup of milk in place of 3/4 cup), they're still Grandma's biscuits. Delicious as ever.
Easy homemade biscuits take minutes to make.
Slice the butter into the flour mixture, and mix together with a pastry blender.
Make a well in the center of your mixture, and add the milk. Mix together well.
Sprinkle a handful of flour on a clean surface. Take dough and knead a bit of flour into it, shaping it with your hands. Roll the dough out to about a 1 to 2 inch thickness with a rolling pin. Cut biscuits out with either a biscuit cutter or a cup/glass. Place biscuits in a greased baking dish or iron skillet. Brush the biscuit tops with a bit of melted butter, if desired.
Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until tops begin to turn a warm golden hue.
Looking for more recipes made with biscuits?
Print the recipe for Easy Homemade Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- Extra butter for brushing on top, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 425°.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slice the butter into the flour mixture, and mix together with a pastry blender.
- Make a well in the center of your mixture, and add the milk. Mix together well.
- Sprinkle a handful of flour on a clean surface. Take dough and knead a bit of flour into it, shaping it with your hands. Roll the dough out to about a 1-2 inch thickness with a rolling pin.
- Cut biscuits out with either a biscuit cutter or a cup/glass. Place biscuits in a greased pan or iron skillet.
- Brush tops of biscuits with a bit of melted butter, if desired.
- Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until the biscuit tops begin to turn a warm golden hue.
- Serve while warm with butter, jam, honey, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, or all by themselves. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 317mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g