This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
With February being National Cherry Month, I thought it the perfect time to celebrate with a homemade cherry cobbler. I’ve had a hankering for a homemade fruit cobbler, and even though I love to make a killer peach cobbler and blueberry cobbler, I’d never made a cherry one before now. Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, this cobbler is mouthwateringly scrumptious.
How to Make a Dark Cherry Cobbler
Making a fruit cobbler is really not as hard as it sounds; in fact, a cobbler is probably the easiest type of pie/pastry you could ever endeavor to make. It’s perfect for a beginning baker, and kids might like to get involved, as well.
The crust comes first. You mix up the ingredients for the crust, per the recipe below. Then save back about 1/4 of the dough to use as topping. Press the rest of the crust into a baking dish. Personally, I love ceramic bakeware, and just a hint… Wayfair has an excellent selection of bakeware. You can also use an oven-friendly glass baking dish or a pie plate. The choice is totally up to you. But press that crust all along the bottom of your dish and up the sides just a bit, enough to hold the cobbler filling.
Next, you’ll mix up the filling, per the recipe below. You can use fresh cherries or frozen; I used frozen organic dark sweet cherries since fresh are a bit out of season in our neck of the woods right now.
Once you’ve poured your filling into the crust, just crumble the rest of the crust that you saved back on top of your cobbler and bake! It’s as simple as that.
We love our cobbler with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. The cream just adds even more flavor to the fruity cobbler. It’s so delicious!
Below you’ll find the printable recipe. Enjoy!
Looking for more fruit pie recipes?
- Easiest Strawberry Pie You’ll Ever Make
- Apple Crumb Pie
- The Best Peach Cobbler Ever
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Blackberry Pie in a Jar
- Scrumptious Strawberry Cream Pie
Sweet and Tart Dark Cherry Cobbler
- 2 cups flour
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. Bring down to 375°.
- For the crust, combine dry ingredients.
- Combine oil and milk; then add to dry ingredients, stirring with a fork.
- Save back about 1/4 of dough for topping.
- Press the rest of the crust into a baking dish. Press up the sides until crust is high enough to hold the filling.
- Once thawed, you can chop the cherries if you wish or leave them whole.
- Combine cherries with sugar, salt, corn starch, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Pour cherry mixture into crust, and top with sliced butter.
- Finally, crumble your crust topping over the cherry mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, until crust and topping are a nice golden brown.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!