Monster Cookies Recipe – How to make the best chewy monster cookies. Easy to make. Decorated with M&M'S® candies, chocolate, and candy eyeballs. Fun, festive Halloween cookie for kids! This post has been sponsored by Mars Wrigley Confectionery US, LLC. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Monster cookies made with loads of chocolate, including Fun Size M&M’S® and SNICKERS® candies from your local Walmart, are one of my favorite cookies. Partly because they remind me of a childhood neighbor and partly because they're just so soft and chewy.
When I was a kid, my neighbor would make the most delicious cookies filled with oatmeal, peanut butter, and chocolate. I mean, she loaded those puppies up with all kinds of sweet goodness.
Now as we get ready for the Halloween season, you can make a similar Halloween cookie recipe, using M&M'S® candies and SNICKERS® Minis. And since we're calling them monster cookies, why not add a spooky touch with candy eyeballs?
I love candy eyeballs because they're a quick way to add personality to any project.
These cookies are especially fun to make with kids, and they're easy for that exact purpose. Halloween is already full of projects like costumes and parties; let's keep dessert easy.
Looking for more oatmeal cookies? You may also enjoy these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
I JUST WANT THE RECIPE! TAKE ME TO THE RECIPE FOR MONSTER COOKIES!
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas and get straight to the scrumptious monster cookies recipe, just scroll down to the bottom to find the printable recipe card.
WHAT CHOCOLATEY INGREDIENTS SHOULD I MIX INTO MY MONSTER COOKIE DOUGH?
While the staple ingredients in this cookie should remain unchanged, you can mix and match the sweeter ingredients.
Candies you may want to add to your monster cookies include:
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips
- M&M'S® candies
- PEANUT M&M'S candies
- SNICKERS® Mini's
- TWIX® bars
- MILKY WAY® candy bars
- 3 MUSKETEERS® candy bars
WHERE CAN I FIND FUN SIZE M&M’S® AND SNICKERS® CANDIES?
Grab your Halloween candy, including Fun Size M&M’S® and SNICKERS® candies, at Walmart in the Halloween candy aisle/s.
I actually prefer shopping at Walmart for our Halloween treats because they have a wide variety of affordable options.
Festive Fun Size M&M’S® and SNICKERS® candies from your local Walmart include their “All Chocolate” Variety Bag; the Mixed Minis Witch Bag (my favorite, I love the bag!); and M&M'S® Peanut Ghoul's Mix with Halloween colors like orange, purple, and green.
TIPS FOR HOW TO MAKE MONSTER COOKIES:
These cookies are really easy to make, but I do have a few tips to make the recipe flow more smoothly for you.
- Use unsalted butter versus salted butter in your cookie dough. This way, it's a little easier to control the salty taste of your cookies.
- Let the butter soften beforehand.
- You can use creamy or crunchy peanut butter, but I highly recommend creamy just because of the texture it will give the cookies.
- Sift together the dry ingredients, including flour, baking soda, and salt, before mixing them into the dough.
- While I prefer using M&M'S® candies, you can also add in other candies. We added chopped SNICKERS Mini's into the second half of our dough, and they gave the cookies an even chewier texture. Yum!
- Get into the spirit of Halloween by adding candy eyeballs to the cookies when they're hot, right out of the oven. Gently press the eyeballs into the top of the cookies, adding as many or as few as you want. This has a dual purpose… 1) Great for decorating Halloween cookies and 2) It allows you to gently press the cookie down into a flatter cookie while still warm.
SHOULD I CHILL MY COOKIE DOUGH?
It's really not necessary for this cookie recipe. These cookies are already pretty chewy, and I prefer to just go ahead and bake the cookies while the dough is nice and soft.
CAN I FREEZE THESE COOKIES?
Yes, you can make them and freeze them. Just allow enough time for the cookies to thaw before serving time.
IF YOU LOVE THIS MONSTER COOKIES RECIPE, TRY SOME OF OUR OTHER COOKIE AND HALLOWEEN DESSERTS FAVORITES:
More easy last minute ideas –>> 20+ Halloween treats – including Halloween brownies, party punch, cookies, no bake desserts, treats on a stick, Halloween cupcakes, and more!
And if it's a costume you need, why not make a DIY Garfield costume?
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE MONSTER COOKIES:
Wire Rack – for cooling your cookies.
MONSTER COOKIES RECIPE
If you love this monster cookies recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
Click on the video below to see how easy it is to make monster cookies for Halloween!
Soft and Chewy Monster Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup M&M'S candies
- 1/2 cup SNICKERS chopped and optional
- 1/2 cup candy eyeballs
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°.
- Cream, or mix together, the butter and brown sugar.
- Mix the peanut butter into the creamed mixture.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract into the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Mix the oats into the cookie dough.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, M&M'S® candies, and the SNICKERS candies into the cookie dough, mixing everything in well.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop cookies onto your cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden and done.
- While the cookies are still on the cookie sheet, gently press candy eyeballs into each cookie.*
- Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a mug of ice cold milk!