Simple and easy salmon patties, made with crackers. Delicious with tzatziki sauce and perfect for dinner or served as an appetizer.
My mom used to make the best salmon patties when I was growing up; my dad did a lot of deep sea fishing, so a lot of times, she'd make them with home canned salmon.
Like grilled fish fillets, these fried salmon patties have so much flavor. Mom always knew just the right seasonings to add.
While my salmon cakes can probably never live up to hers, I still enjoy making them for dinner, especially when we make tzatziki sauce to go with them.
I'll keep perfecting my salmon patties recipe, and hopefully, some day I'll come close to Mom's.
You can find a printable recipe below.
Ingredients you need to make this recipe for salmon patties:
- Canned salmon or fresh salmon
- Lemon juice
- Saltine crackers
- Miracle Whip
- Black pepper
- Fresh chives
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil or salted butter
Tips for how to make salmon patties:
The first thing you'll want to do if you're using canned salmon, is to drain and rinse the salmon. Then add it to a large mixing bowl.
Add the eggs and lemon juice to the salmon, and give it a good stir.
Next, mix in the Miracle Whip.
Then add the salt, pepper, chives, and chopped fresh parsley. The mixture should be just right for forming 1 to 2 dozen salmon patties, depending on the size you make them.
Add a dash of olive oil or a couple tablespoons of butter to a skillet and begin to warm.
Grab about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture and begin forming a patty. Repeat and continue until all of the mixture has been formed into patties.
When they are cooked through, remove them from the skillet and serve while warm.
If you have leftovers, they're just as good the next day.
What to serve with salmon patties
Salmon cakes are delicious when served with pasta, rice, vegetables, and more. We enjoy pairing them with a salmon patties sauce like tzatziki sauce, as well as spaghetti squash alfredo (minus the chicken).
They'd also pair well with a colorful salad.
More fish and seafood recipes you may enjoy:
Kitchen tools you may need to make salmon patties:
Strainer – This makes it easy to drain and rinse the salmon.
Mixing bowl – You'll need a large mixing bowl to mix up the salmon patties recipe.
Rolling Pin – Makes it easy to crush up the Saltines.
Skillet or Griddle – You'll need a way to fry the salmon patties.
Flipper or Turner – for turning the patties in the skillet.
- 20 ounces canned salmon, boneless and skinless
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 64 whole Saltine crackers, (about 2 sleeves)
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or salted butter
- Drain and rinse the salmon. Then add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and lemon juice to the salmon, and give it a good stir.
- Crush the Saltine crackers in a plastic baggie, using a rolling pin.
- Add the crackers to your salmon mixture.
- Next, mix in the Miracle Whip.
- Then add the salt, pepper, chives, and fresh parsley. Mix everything together well.
- Add a dash of olive oil or a couple tablespoons of butter to a skillet and begin to warm.
- Grab about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture and begin forming a patty. Repeat and continue until all of the mixture has been formed into patties.
- Add the patties to your skillet (or griddle) and fry each side on low to medium heat until the patties have turned a golden brown color and have a crispy texture.
- When they are cooked through, remove them from the skillet, allow to drain, and serve while warm.
- They pair deliciously well with this homemade tzatziki sauce.
Serving Size:12 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Cholesterol: 41mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Update Notes: This recipe was originally published in 2013, but was re-published with bigger photos and more details in July of 2018.