How to make a low carb homemade tzatziki sauce with sour cream. Quick and easy recipe, it's delicious on grilled fish, in gyros, and more!
There are times that a good sauce brings out all the flavors in your favorite foods. Grilled fish fillets, salmon patties, and fish tacos with tzatziki sauce are the perfect examples of pairing and melding flavors together.
I had never had gyros or tzatziki sauce until after I married Dan. My first time eating a gyro was shortly after we married, when we went to the New York State Fair; it was delicious.
Since then, we've made this sauce to go with some of our favorite dishes. Made with sour cream and mayo instead of Greek yogurt, it's a low carb recipe alternative.
It's simple, quick, and easy to make. And most of the ingredients you probably already have, besides maybe the cucumber; but don't leave out the cucumber because it's a must.
Ingredients you need to make tzatziki sauce:
Gather your ingredients. You'll need the following:
Tips for how to make this low carb recipe for tzatziki sauce:
First wash the cucumber. Then peel, de-seed, mince it, and set it aside.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayo, and lemon juice.
Add in the crushed garlic, garlic powder, dill weed, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
Finally, add in the cucumber, mixing everything together well.
And that's it! It's ready to serve with your favorite dish, and it can be used as both a sauce and a dip.
If you're not yet ready to serve the sauce, just cover and chill it in the fridge.
More sauce and dip recipes you may enjoy:
- Bacon Cheddar BBQ Ranch Dip
- Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Easy Blender Salsa with Basil
- Creamy BBQ Chicken Dip
- Caramel Apple Dip
Tools you may need to make tzatziki sauce:
Cutting Board and Chef Knife – A cutting board is definitely a kitchen staple and handy for chopping all the things.
Vegetable Peeler – for peeling the cucumber.
Medium Mixing Bowl – for mixing up the sauce.
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, de-seeded, and minced
- 1/3 cup sour cream, heaping
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- First wash the cucumber. Then peel, de-seed, mince it, and set it aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayo, and lemon juice.
- Add in the crushed garlic, garlic powder, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
- Finally, add in the cucumber, mixing everything together well.
- And that's it! You're ready to serve it with your favorite dish; it can be used as both a sauce and a dip. It pairs deliciously well with grilled fish fillets, fish tacos, salmon patties, gyros, and fresh veggies.
- If you're not yet ready to serve the sauce, just cover and chill it in the fridge.
Serving Size:8 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 1g