This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Grass Block Minecraft Cake – Recipe with printable supply list and instructions. Fun, festive, and super easy Minecraft birthday cake anyone can make, perfect for a Minecraft party!
Minecraft has been HUGE deal in our house, between my boys and my husband who all love to play. It used to be non-stop talk about Minecraft, especially with my oldest; so of course, it makes sense that he would request a grass block Minecraft cake for his 11th birthday way back when.
The memories this brings (he’s now a teenager). When he requested a Minecraft birthday cake, I mulled it over for a bit and sifted through all sorts of Minecraft cake ideas, figuring out the best way to make this cake.
It was a fun project and even more fun to see the smile on his face when it was all said and done.
I JUST WANT THE RECIPE! TAKE ME TO THE RECIPE FOR A MINECRAFT GRASS BLOCK CAKE!
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the Minecraft grass block cake recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
Kitchen tools you may need to make this cake recipe:
- 10-inch Square Cake Pan – Since you’re creating a grass block, you’ll want a square shaped pan.
- Cake Board and Freezer Paper – You’ll place the cake on a cake board wrapped in freezer paper for decorating.
- Icing Spatula – This comes in handy for spreading the icing between cake layers and around the sides of the cake.
- Pastry Bag – Place your icing in the pastry bag.
- Wilton Grass Tip and Coupler – Tip allows you to create grass out of icing.
- Candles – If you’re making a birthday cake, add candles or whatever decorations you want.
Tips for how to make a Minecraft cake
The first step is to bake 2 10-inch square cakes (the grass block should be square-shaped); Jacob wanted chocolate, so I picked up 2 chocolate cake mixes to make the process easier.
While the cakes are baking, it’s a good time to mix up the icing. I use my favorite recipe for buttercream icing. This icing is so delicious.
The regular buttercream icing needs to be green, so add enough green food color until satisfied with the shade you have.
The secret to making the chocolate buttercream icing look even more like dirt and mud is to crush up Peanut Butter Oreos and mix in with the icing. Combined, this makes the perfect texture for the bottom of the grass block.
Spread a portion of the green buttercream icing on top of one cake. Then sandwich the two cakes together.
Work your way around the sides of the cake, spreading the chocolate buttercream “dirt” icing. It’s ok if it looks a little messy; that just makes for a more authentic look to your grass block.
Finally, it’s time to add the grass with the rest of the green buttercream icing.
Make sure your icing is thin enough to easily squeeze through the grass tip, or it will be very difficult indeed (don’t ask me how I know this).
It works like a charm to create beautiful patches of green grass for the top of the grass block cake. This part of the process is probably what will take the longest, but it’s so worth it when you’re done.
When finished, decorate with candles or whatever your heart desires.
Another Minecraft cake idea you may love:
More chocolate cake recipes you may enjoy:
MINECRAFT GRASS BLOCK CAKE RECIPE
If you love this Minecraft grass block cake recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
Grass Block Minecraft Cake
Grass Block Minecraft Cake recipe with printable supply list and instructions. Fun, festive, and super easy Minecraft birthday cake anyone can make, perfect for a Minecraft party!
- Bake 2 square cakes, using 10"x10" cake pans and following cake mix instructions.
- While the cakes are baking, mix up the icing, following instructions for the Wilton recipes (links shared above in the ingredients list).
- The regular buttercream icing needs to be green, so add enough green food color until satisfied with the shade you have.
- The secret to making the chocolate buttercream icing look even more like dirt and mud is to crush up Peanut Butter Oreos and mix in with the icing.
- When the cakes have cooled, place one cake on a cake board that's been wrapped in white freezer paper.
- Spread a portion of the green buttercream icing on top of that cake.
- Then sandwich the two cakes together.
- Spread the chocolate buttercream "dirt" icing on the sides of the cake, working your way around.
- Using your Wilton Grass Tip, add the grass with the rest of the green buttercream icing. Make sure the icing is thin enough to easily squeeze through the grass tip, or it will be very difficult. The Wilton website gives a great tutorial for how to create the grass, but basically, just squeeze the pastry bag to create your grass and then pull up or away.
- When finished, decorate with candles or whatever your heart desires.
- Serve and enjoy!