The holidays bring so much excitement and child-like wonder…it's a happy time of year and a time when we especially take family traditions very seriously.
It's not just about the big day and presents under the tree. It's about being together and sharing this experience as a family.
We have a few fun traditions including new jammies and a holiday movie like Christmas Vacation on Christmas Eve.
It's definitely the holiday treat making season, as well; one of my favorite traditions is making hot chocolate, filling our travel cups, and heading out to see the lights.
With beautiful holiday lights in mind, I decided to try making homemade hot chocolate. The boys love hot cocoa, and it's just a given any time it snows or it's cold outside. It's kinda become our thing; it's a way for me to let them know I care, a way to share something we all love.
They love it when I put the tea kettle on, pull out the hot cocoa and marshmallows, and prep our favorite cups. Jaden loves a reindeer cup, and Jacob has his glass mug.
This particular recipe is very rich, very chocolatey. We love adding a little creamer to our hot chocolate, but it's not something we always have on hand.
So, we did a li'l something different with that too. I made a homemade raspberry creamer. Ooo la la! It's so good! Frozen raspberries, a little Half & Half, a little sugar, and you have your own homemade creamer.
Of course, don't forget the marshmallows or whipped cream. Personally, I love to stack my cup with loads of mini mallows. So yummy!
Looking for more festive beverage recipes?
- Easy Orange Sherbet Punch
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Sparkling Non-Alcoholic Party Drink with a Touch of Tangerine
You'll find a printable recipe below… I’m definitely adding this recipe to my list of The Best Christmas Recipes for Your Holiday Celebrations.
Tonight if we're not out viewing the beautiful holiday lights in our neck of the woods, I think I may just sit down with my boys, a cup of homemade chocolatey goodness, and a good book.
Daily acts of care don't always have to involve housework, after all… Sometimes they involve reading a good book together, taking a few to remember why we celebrate this wonderful holiday season.
Whirlpool® has launched the Every day, care™ Project, highlighting simple acts of care that can change or light up your world. Little acts, such as laundry, cleaning, washing the dishes, reading a good book together, or even making a warm, homemade cup of chocolatey goodness can make a difference in the lives of those we care about and love. Click here to take a look at the Every day, care™ website to see how daily acts of care can change your world.
Pin this recipe to save it for later!
Homemade Raspberry Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 12 oz. frozen raspberries
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups Half & Half
- 10 oz. Semi-Sweet chocolate chips
- 10 oz. Milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Thaw raspberries and add to blender/food processor with Half & Half and sugar.
- Purée mixture.
- Run mixture through colander or strainer to remove all seeds.
- Add Half & Half, chocolate, and vanilla to saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
- Cook until chocolate melts and mixture is hot, probably about 20 minutes.
- Pour into cups for serving.
- Add a spoonful or two of homemade raspberry creamer. Add marshmallows or whatever else you like in your hot chocolate.