This post may feature affiliate links or partner companies. Read our full disclosure policy .
Remember when you were a kid and Valentine’s Day meant school parties with homemade Valentine boxes, gobs of Valentines, and yummy heart shaped treats? With the holiday of love and hearts and sprinkled cupcakes just around the corner, Heart Shaped Chocolate Whoopie Pies are a most scrumptious treat.
This Recipe Has a Story
This recipe happens to be my grandma’s recipe for chocolate sandwich cookies. We didn’t really call them whoopie pies. Ever. I’m not sure why. But that’s really what they are. Only our icing is more of a creamy sugar cookie icing made with powdered sugar. I think original whoopie pies have a sort of marshmallow cream icing. Either way, they’re one of my favorite cookies.
Grandma would mix these up and pop them in the oven. When they came out, the entire kitchen smelled like chocolate. We’d smooth a bit of icing on one cookie and sandwich them together. To this day, they’re still a family favorite. Her recipe lives on.
How to Make Heart Shaped Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Below is the printable recipe. You can make these round or heart shaped. To get the heart shape, I used a Wilton heart shaped whoopie pie pan. If you don’t want to buy the pan, I imagine you could use a heart shaped cookie cutter to form each shape with dough. Just be sure to remove the cookie cutter before baking.
This is the most scrumptious cookie… If I could call it the king of cookies (besides my favorite chocolate chip cookies), I totally would. Enjoy!
Print the Recipe for Heart Shaped Chocolate Whoopie Pies!
Heart Shaped Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- 1 batch Grandma's Chocolate Sandwich Cookies link below
- 1 batch Easy Sugar Cookie Icing link below
- Mix up a batch of Grandma's Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.
- Spray the whoopie pie pan with cooking spray.
- Drop 1-2 teaspoonfuls of cookie dough into each heart and smooth out.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix together this Easy Sugar Cookie Icing.
- After the cookies have cooled, sandwich them together with the icing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can’t bake them just yet? Pin it for later!