Grandma’s chocolate sandwich cookies, a family recipe for a favorite dessert. Soft chocolate cookies sandwiched together with vanilla icing.
It's no secret that I love my grandma's recipes. Both my grandmas were wonderful cooks, and the heirloom recipes they passed down mean everything to me. Chocolate Sandwich Cookies have been in my family for awhile now.
My great grandma passed it down to my grandma, my grandma passed it down to her daughters, and they in turn, to all of us grandchildren.
A little history behind the recipe…
My great grandma, who traveled to Missouri by covered wagon in 1905, used a cooked icing she made with 1 cup sugar, 1 or 2 tbsp. butter, 1 tsp. vanilla, a dash of salt, and enough cream to set this mixture.
Cook to soft ball stage and ice cookies on underside, putting together two cookies like a sandwich. Work quickly as this icing sets up fast.
However, I use an easy sugar cookie icing that my mom taught me to make. It includes powdered sugar, salted butter, vanilla, almond extract, and heavy whipping cream.
You want the icing thick enough to stay on the cookie but not so thick that it breaks the cookies apart when trying to spread it.
My great grandma would make these and have them ready for an after school snack when my mom and her sisters would arrive home from school via the school bus every day around 4:30pm.
She stored them in a metal roasting pan with a lid that was silver in color and all bent up. She kept it in the pantry.
My friend, Sarah Shotts, came to our home back in August to film our treasured family recipe. She has such a gift. Here is the shortened version of our treasured documentary…
Looking for more scrumptious cookie recipes?
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Crisp Cutout Sugar Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Raspberry Lemon Butter Cookies
Print the recipe for Grandma's Chocolate Sandwich Cookies!
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 6 level tbsp. cocoa
- 1 tsp. salt
- Easy Sugar Cookie Icing link below
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. If batter is too thin, you may add more flour.
- Drop from teaspoons onto baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes.
- When fully baked, remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Mix icing together until good consistency, not too runny or the cookies will slide apart.
- Put cookies together with icing to form sandwich cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!