This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m so excited to start a new adventure here on this li’l blog of mine. The older Jacob gets (Jaden too), the more I realize how much we still have to teach him. Cooking is one of those skills he really enjoys and also one skill I’d love for him to have when he eventually leaves the nest and begins his own life adventures. He chose to take a cooking class at homeschool group, and he absolutely loves it. He’s been brimming with ideas. So, we’re beginning a new section called Kid Recipes, with our first recipe being Pizza Pot Pie.
For now, you may see a few older recipes we’ve enjoyed in the past; but every so often, we’ll share a new kid-friendly recipe. It’ll be Jacob’s creation, along with a bit of my guidance, but mostly his own; sometimes Jaden might jump in too. He’ll come up with what we’re making, and we’ll share it here.
Mmmm, this is such a yummy dinner, and the kids love it. Jacob actually made this for us a couple of months ago. It was so delicious we decided to make it again, but with just a few tweaks. This time he wanted to add sausage, zucchini, and peppers. This definitely gave him the opportunity to practice his chopping skills. We made individual pot pies in little ramekin dishes, but you could even make this in one big casserole dish.
Our new adventure will feature recipes that, hopefully, your kids will enjoy making too. It’s a little inspiration when meals get boring and you need a little help livening things up. Kids always help liven things up, right?
Kid Recipes: Pizza Pot Pie
- 2 1/4 cups biscuit mix
- 2/3 cup skim milk<br/>
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1/4 large red pepper minced
- 1/4 large yellow pepper minced
- 1/4 large orange pepper minced
- 1 lb. Italian sausage cooked & crumbled
- 3 oz. pepperoni chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 2 to matoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper<br/>
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Colby Jack
- Pre-heat oven to 400°. Grease 4-5 ramekins.
- Mix crust ingredients together well. Press into greased ramekins, pressing into bottom and up sides of each dish.
- Bake at 400° for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook Italian sausage, crumbling as it browns. When fully cooked, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté onion and peppers in melted butter for 1-2 minutes, or until tender.
- Add sausage to peppers and onion mixture in skillet; turn heat to low.
- Purée zucchini (peeled) and tomatoes in small food processor.
- Mix puréed mixture with tomato sauce, seasonings, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper.
- Add pepperoni and 1 1/2 cups sausage/pepper/onion mixture to sauce.
- Add sauce and shredded cheese to biscuit crusted ramekins. Layer cheese, adding to bottom of dish and top.
- Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can’t make it just yet? Pin it for later!