This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Healthy, low carb chicken stuffed bell peppers with spinach and cheese, baked in the oven. Easy delicious recipe (with video), perfect for a weeknight meal!
Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a flavorful and delicious dinner idea. I love stuffed peppers, especially for that pepper-y flavor (have since I was a kid).
Now most stuffed peppers are made with ground beef or ground turkey… But chicken adds a whole new twist. And there are so many things you can do with chicken to add variety and make it interesting.
Picture fajita chicken, sesame chicken, and chicken salad… The sky's the limit when it comes to stuffed peppers with chicken.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE RECIPE CARD FOR CHICKEN STUFFED BELL PEPPERS?
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips, important cooking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the delicious low carb stuffed peppers recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
HOW TO PREP PEPPERS FOR MAKING STUFFED PEPPERS
While I usually cut my bell peppers in half, you can go with one of two options when prepping your bell peppers for a stuffed bell pepper recipe…
- Remove the top of the pepper, along with all the pith and seeds that are down inside.
- OR simply cut the peppers in half and remove all the pith and seeds inside. Just remember not to eat the stem if you leave the stem intact.
DO I NEED TO PRE-COOK BELL PEPPERS BEFORE STUFFING THEM?
You can, but you don’t have to. This is usually done to shorten the cooking time.
The Cookful actually has a really helpful explanation for how to pre-cook peppers.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPERS
These low carb chicken stuffed peppers are super easy to make. From prepping the peppers to stuffing them and cooking them, I'll walk you through the entire process.
PREP AND MAKE YOUR CHICKEN MIXTURE
- Prep the peppers… Slice them in half, right down the middle. You can leave the stems on or remove. Then remove the seeds, cores, and membranes from the peppers.
- Add the chicken, spinach, and spices to a mixing bowl.
- Don't forget to add part of the shredded cheddar (about 1 1/2 cups).
- Then mix everything up together.
Once your chicken mixture is ready, just stuff the peppers full. The more, the better.
COOKING THESE HEALTHY CHICKEN STUFFED PEPPERS
Then you'll just bake the peppers either on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, per the instructions in the recipe card below.
Once they've baked, sprinkle on the extra cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes or so.
And that's it! They're ready to serve, with their melty cheese and all those wonderful flavors.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES?
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Sausage Cauliflower Bake
- Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice
- Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
SHOP KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE:
Mixing Bowl – I love a bowl with a handle; this one's pretty similar to mine.
Cheese Grater – for shredding the cheese.
Baking Sheet – You'll place the peppers on a baking sheet to bake.
PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR CHEESY CHICKEN STUFFED PEPPERS
If you love this chicken stuffed bell peppers recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest! If you make the recipe, be sure to share that you tried it on Pinterest. I love when readers share feedback!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
Want to see how to make this recipe? Watch our cooking show video in the recipe card below!
- 5 large bell peppers
- 2 pounds chicken
- 1 cup spinach leaves, washed and chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, *shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Wash and prep your peppers. Slice them in half, right down the middle.** Then remove all the cores, seeds, and membranes from the peppers.
- Dice the chicken into chunks or thin slices.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the chicken with the seasonings, spinach, and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheddar.
- Stuff the peppers with the chicken mixture.
- Place the stuffed peppers on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked thru.
- Add the rest of the shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese to the top of each pepper, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve while warm and enjoy!
*Or you can use Colby Jack cheese.
**You can leave the stems on the peppers or remove them, totally your preference (just don't ingest the stems, they're only there for show).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 555 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 188mg Sodium: 785mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 49g