Sometimes the hot summer weather calls for an easy recipe that's lighter on the tummy yet delicious at the same time. We enjoy our favorite open-faced chicken salad sandwich or tuna salad, but it'd been awhile since we'd made chicken salad.
My grandmother, my dad, and my mom used to make tuna/chicken salad with all kinds of good ingredients like apples, nuts, and more. We decided to get a little funky with it and add some crunch to the salad.
Below is a printable recipe without photos, for your convenience.
The first step was to boil our eggs and get our crunchy ingredients chopped up. We chopped up green onions, purple onion, and an apple.
Then we opened our chicken and drained it; we used Applewood Smoke Chunk Chicken.
When the eggs were done, it was time to smash them up really well.
Finally, we mixed all the ingredients together in a bowl.
Then we added Miracle Whip to give the salad a creamy, tangy texture/flavor.
Finally, we applied the mixture to pita slices with lettuce. Dan also added mustard to his pita sandwiches.
Next time we might even add chopped up pecans…. but for now, this was light and de-lish! Perfect for a summer meal or even an end of the summer party. Enjoy!
Crunchy Chicken Salad Pitas
- 12.5 ounces chicken shredded
- 4 large eggs boiled, peeled, and smashed
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup purple onion minced
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup pecans optional
- Chop green onions, purple onion, and an apple. Open chicken and drain it.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, including nuts if you choose. Add Miracle Whip to give the salad a creamy, tangy texture/flavor. Finally, layer on pita slices with lettuce. You can add mustard for extra flavor, if desired.
(Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post in any way. This recipe and all views/opinions remain honestly and solely my own.)