Ready for a spring picnic but not sure what to pack in your picnic basket? Loaded Egg Salad Pitas make a delicious lunch or picnic, and they're a great way to use up leftover hard boiled eggs.
In addition to hard boiled eggs, I added a few extra ingredients. My grandma used to make tuna salad and chicken egg salad with a host of fresh ingredients, from apples to pickles and pecans.
She had 2 long rows of pecan trees in her front yard, so she always had pecans sitting around in a pan waiting to be cracked or bags full of pecans already stored away in the freezer. I miss those pecan trees.
That's kinda where my cravings led me with this egg salad, back to the good ole days.
Below you'll find a printable recipe. Serve this egg salad up with a flat bread or sandwiched in a pita, and you're all set. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I hope you enjoy!
Loaded Egg Salad Pitas
- Boil eggs and peel; crumble.
- Wash, peel, and chop apple.
- Wash, peel, and slice avocado
- Mince onion.
- Chop pecans and pickles.
- Shred Cheddar cheese.
- Mix together eggs, apple, avocado, red onion, pecans, pickles, Cheddar, pickle juice, and mayo in a medium-sized bowl.
- Serve in pita bread pockets with lettuce. Enjoy!