This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make yummy campfire s’mores in an ice cream cone. All you need are sugar cones, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows for this easy camping recipe!
Every time we go camping, I always pack ingredients for s'mores. While graham crackers, chocolate, and mini marshmallows are always on the list, both for regular s'mores and for s'mores dip, I have a feeling sugar cones will make the list too from now on.
Sugar cone s'mores and banana boats s'mores are the easiest things I've ever made. The trick is to pack them as full of chocolate chips and marshmallows as you possibly can.
You can use any kind of chocolate you want, but Ghirardelli chocolate chips are the best and my absolute favorite for making s'mores, chocolate chip cookies, and more. They really do make the best s'mores with kids.
What I love about campfire cones is there's less mess. Everything squishes down in the cone, you warm it up over the fire or the grill, then eat it like an ice cream cone.
Also, did you know National S'mores Day is August 10th? It sure is, and now you have even more reason to make these lovelies.
Below you'll find a printable recipe.
Ingredients for S'mores Cones:
- Chocolate chips – My favorite are Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.
- Mini marshmallows
- Ice cream cones – You can use sugar cones or waffle cones.
You'll also need aluminum foil.
Tips for how to make s'mores in a sugar cone:
First things first, you'll need either a campfire or a heated grill. Before you start filling the cones, either get a fire going or heat up the grill.
Next take a sugar cone, and layer chocolate chips and mini marshmallows in a few layers until your cone is full.
Squish and fill as full as possible.
Completely wrap your sugar cone s'more in aluminum foil. Make sure it's completely covered.
Add to a warm grill, or place over the fire (try to keep it somewhat above the fire, maybe using a tripod with a Dutch oven). If you want to put it directly in the fire, try to put it over hot coals rather than over open flame.
Allow the s'mores to cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Using a pair of tongs, remove your s'more from the fire or grill, and carefully unwrap the foil; be careful, it's hot! Watch the marshmallow, especially, as you unwrap so you don't get burnt.
You can let it cool for a few minutes, then dig in and enjoy! S'more campfire cones are so yummy!
Alternative recipe options
- I love using semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can also use pieces of chocolate bars, mini peanut butter cups, etc.
- In addition to chocolate chips, add white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, etc.
- Add candies like M&M's, toffee bits, etc.
- Add in peanuts or crushed up almonds for a little extra crunch.
Kitchen/camping tools you may need to make this s'mores recipe:
Aluminum Foil – You'll need to wrap your cones in foil before cooking.
Tongs – A good pair of tongs will save your fingers.
Sugar cone s'mores are so fun and so easy to make. Your kids will LOVE making these fun desserts while camping or enjoying a backyard campfire or cookout.
What's your favorite way to eat a s'more?
More s'mores camping recipes you may enjoy:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 4 whole ice cream cones, (sugar cones or waffle cones)
- Start a campfire or heat up the grill.
- Layer chocolate chips and mini marshmallows in the sugar cones, adding a few layers until your cones are as full as possible.
- Wrap your sugar cone s'mores separately in aluminum foil. Make sure each one is completely covered.
- Add your s'mores to a warm grill, or place them over the fire*.
- Allow the s'mores to cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using a pair of tongs, remove your s'mores from the fire or grill, and carefully unwrap the foil; be careful, it's hot! Watch the marshmallow, especially, as you unwrap the foil, so you don't get burnt.
- You can let it cool for a few minutes, then dig in and enjoy!
Serving Size:4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Saturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 2g