This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you've watched Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, you've seen those beautiful, colorful, cloud-like Truffula Trees. Well, back when I was in my cake pop making craze, I racked my brain for a creative cake pop idea. That's when I remembered Earth Day…. and then I thought of The Lorax and how perfect Truffula Tree cake pops would be for this occasion. So, I set out to try to create these whimsical trees, in cake pop form.
The process is quite simple, really. Anyone could make these. Below, you'll find a printable recipe for the chocolate cake pops. The first step was to mix up my cake pop dough and heat up my Babycakes Cake Pop Maker. I chose to go the easy route in actually baking these cake pops, since I wasn't sure how my process of creating the bushy trees would go.
You'll need a few supplies, including the following:
- Cake pop dough (follow my recipe below)
- Pastry bag
- Candy Melts (I recommend Wilton)
- Paper Straws
- Cotton Candy (in as many colors as you can find)
After mixing the dough, add a bit of dough to a pastry bag, which I've found to be the easiest way to add dough to the reservoirs in the cake pop maker. Follow your cake pop maker's instructions for baking the cake balls. When the cake balls are baked, let cool on a paper towel. Once they've cooled, place on a cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes or until chilled well.
Now it's time for decorating. Dip a paper straw in melted candy melts, and insert the straw into a cake ball. Continue to dip the cake pop in the candy melts until coated well.
Place the cake pop in a stand, and prepare a piece of cotton candy by pulling it and stretching it apart just a bit. Then wrap the cake pop while candy coating is still fresh. The cotton candy will stick to the candy coating and become your very own Truffula Tree. Be aware that the cotton candy will dry out and begin to harden when left out for a longer period of time; so you'd probably want to complete the steps of coating your cake pops and wrapping in cotton candy right before your party or event.
These turned out so cute, and my boys absolutely loved them. They'd be perfect for an Earth Day celebration or even that next birthday party.
Below you'll find a printable recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkg. chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2-1 cup milk, in place of water on cake mix pkg.
- 1 bag candy melts
- 6 cups cotton candy
- Mix all ingredients together, making sure your batter is fairly stiff, about the consistency of brownie batter. Do not add oil to the mixture.
- When cake batter is ready, add a little bit at a time to a pastry bag; this will make for easier filling of the cooking reservoirs in the cake pop maker.
- Heat up the cake pop maker, and wait for the green light to show that it's ready.
- Give a light coating of cooking spray to each cooking reservoir in the cake pop maker; fill each reservoir with about 1 tablespoon of cake batter, trying not to overfill. Lower the lid on your cake pop maker, latching it shut. Then wait approximately 4-6 minutes per batch of cake balls.
- Use a pot holder to lift the lid because it can be quite hot to the touch. Use the provided fork to lift each cake ball out of the maker and onto a place to cool.
- Before decorating, place cake balls into the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- To decorate your cake balls as Truffula Trees, use candy melts and cotton candy. Melt the candy melts according to the directions on the package. Then remove cake balls from the freezer, and start decorating.
- Take a cake pop stick, dip it into the melted candy, and insert into the cake ball.
- Then dip each cake pop into the melted candy, coating well and allowing excess candy to drip before placing upright.
- Place each cake pop into a cake pop stand.
- Wrap your cake pops in cotton candy before the candy coating dries.
- Serve immediately after adding cotton candy and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g