This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Ah, grilling season…. how I love thee, let me count the ways! It would seem that in the last week here in Northwest Arkansas, we’ve gone from pretty chilly to completely hot in a nanosecond.
But hey, I’m not complaining; I love this time of year because the grill is uncovered, the table, chairs, and umbrella are all set up on the back deck, the pool is open, and we’re totally ready for family nights out on the back deck, grilling tools in hand.
Now I would never have thought of grilling scalloped potatoes until a couple of nights ago when I was trying to come up with something different and unique for a family night grilling experience. But after making this recipe, I will never make scalloped potatoes in the oven again.
Oh.my.word. I have never had scalloped potatoes with so much flavor and so much deliciousness. They were so creamy, you can’t even imagine.
I wish the photos could do the taste of these scalloped potatoes justice, but this is definitely a recipe you have to make for yourself to experience the flavors. So good!
We started by shopping for Johnsonville Butcher Shop Style Sausage at Walmart. When we’d found the two flavors we wanted, Bacon Cheddar and Smoked, we began to create our recipe in the kitchen and ended our recipe out on the deck.
The sausages sizzled and fizzled as they cooked on the grill.
The scent wafting through the air was enough to make the neighbors a bit jealous.
While the recipe is a grilling recipe, I might venture to say this could also be a simple comfort food recipe. The potatoes, sausages, cream and Cheddar just all come together and make for a mesmerizing mix of flavors that will have the entire family asking for seconds.
Since the cooking ends on the deck, everyone’s outside enjoying the warm air, getting the table all set up, getting ready to enjoy some good eats.
Below is a printable recipe. I truly hope you enjoy. Serve with a salad on the side, and you’re all set. It’s so easy, I ask myself why I never thought of this before. Enjoy!
Looking for more potato recipes?
More grilling recipes you may enjoy:
Family Night Grilling Recipe: Smoked Bacon Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes on the Grill
- 4 1/2 lbs. red potatoes peeled and sliced
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. extra sharp white Cheddar
- 1 pkg. Johnsonville Butcher Style Bacon Cheddar Sausages
- 1 pkg. Johnsonville Butcher Style Smoked Sausages
- Wash, peel, and slice potatoes, placing them into a Dutch oven pan. Add milk, whipping cream, salt, and pepper to potatoes, stirring well. Cook on medium heat until potatoes begin to soften, about 25-30 minutes, stirring or scraping bottom and sides of pan often to avoid scalding.
- Remove from heat.
- Grill sausages according to package directions. Remove from grill, and slice each sausage into multiple slices. Add to potatoes, mixing together.
- Fold half of Cheddar cheese into potato mixture. Add rest of cheese onto top of scalloped potatoes, and place the entire Dutch oven pan on the grill. We used cherry wood pieces in the bottom of our charcoal grill for added smoke flavoring. Do not cover your pan, but do place the cover on the grill. You'll need to let the potatoes grill/smoke for about 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from grill. Serve and enjoy!
Want to see more recipes like this one? Just follow the #CollectiveBias or #mysummersavings hashtags on Twitter.