This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dead of winter, and what do I find myself craving? That's right…. fresh blackberries.
Maybe it's because we've been battling the flu, and I just needed a taste of summer. Or maybe my sweet tooth just craved something close to Mama's blackberry pie.
Either way, this dessert is a delight and definitely gives just a glimpse of summer in the dead of winter.
I chose to make these in personal-sized jars for a Valentine treat. Long story, but I had a couple of flops with the recipe in the beginning.
I originally intended to make pie pops, hence a separate crust recipe in which I cut out hearts, but quickly learned I need to improve on that recipe. So, improvising came in handy and out came my jars.
The pie crust is quite crumbly, but you should be able to shape little hearts if that's what you want to do; otherwise, you can just crumble a bit of crust on top.
Below you'll find a printable recipe. I hope you enjoy!
Looking for more fruit pie recipes?
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Easiest Strawberry Pie You’ll Ever Make
- Apple Crumb Pie
- The Best Peach Cobbler Ever
- Scrumptious Strawberry Cream Pie
- Dark Cherry Cobbler
- Short-Cut Pastry:
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp. skim milk
- Blackberry Filling:
- 2-3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Pastry: Combine flour, sugar, and salt; sift. Whip oil and milk together with a fork, and pour over flour mixture. Mix with fork until all flour is moistened. Save out about 1/3 of mixture for top of pie. Press remaining dough evenly in jars, covering bottom and sides of the jars.
- Filling: Melt butter. If desired, you can puree part of the blackberries before mixing. Mix all ingredients together well.
- Pour filling into each pastry-lined jar. Add either a pastry heart or pastry crumbles to top of pies. Bake at 375° for about 30-40 minutes, or until crust begins to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Dust lightly with powdered sugar. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 538Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 543mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 9gSugar: 26gProtein: 7g