These are the best chocolate chip cookies from scratch, and my favorite dessert. Easy to make, they're slightly crispy around the edge, soft and chewy in the middle.
Chocolate chip cookies from scratch are the one dessert I love to make the most. Partly because this is such an easy recipe, but also, there's just something so delicious about a batch of homemade chewy chocolate chip cookies.
The following recipe is adapted from an old cookbook we received as a wedding gift from Dan's Gram, one of the best gifts we've ever received. It's the 1st printing 1972 Pennsylvania State Grange Cookbook, and in it are recipes from women and families all over the state of PA, over 1500 recipes to be exact.
Just about every recipe I can remember making from this cookbook has been amazingly delicious. This particular chocolate chip cookie recipe has been our absolute favorite.
If you love oatmeal cookies AND soft chocolate chip cookies, combine them together to make the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Yum!
WHERE CAN I FIND THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip all of my baking tips, important baking info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the deliciously easy chocolate chip cookies recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card with a longer how-to video.
MAKE A FEW TWEAKS TO YOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE…
- I substitute unsalted butter (NOT margarine) for shortening. If you use margarine, your cookies will not be the same.
- You can use light brown or dark brown sugar, but here's a tip… I highly recommend light brown because it makes a more raised cookie with a slightly crispy edge and soft, chewy middle. Dark brown makes a flatter cookie with a crunchier, chewier texture.
- I use a heaping teaspoon of salt.
- As for chocolate chips… I use a full 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips. The more chocolate, the merrier.
- Lastly, while it's not required, I prefer to chill the cookie dough for about 2 hours before baking. This makes a very chewy cookie.
TIPS FOR HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Before you get started, gather your ingredients… You’ll need unsalted butter, light brown sugar, pure cane sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, unbleached all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Nuts are optional.
WHAT KIND OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS SHOULD I USE?
While you can use any kind of chocolate chips you prefer, including milk chocolate chips, I highly recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips.
In fact, this is one recipe where I tend to be brand loyal because I prefer to use Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. They make the best chocolate chip cookies ever.
But as you can see in my longer, how-to video in the recipe card below, I don't always have them on hand. So whatever you have, whether it's semi-sweet, your favorite brand, or not… They'll work just fine.
MAKING EASY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Cream together (or mix together) the unsalted butter, brown sugar, and pure cane sugar. Again, I highly recommend light brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to your creamed mixture, mixing well.
Add the chocolate chips, thoroughly mixing the chocolate chips into the dough.
At this point, nuts are an optional add-in. We've used walnuts, but pecans would be delicious too.
Chill the cookie dough for about 2 hours or more.
When you remove each batch from the oven, remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
Serve with a nice tall glass of ice cold milk; or make into ice cream sandwiches with vanilla ice cream.
HOW TO KEEP COOKIES SOFT IN THE COOKIE JAR
When you store cookies, place a piece of bread in the cookie jar with them. This will keep your cookies soft and chewy, especially if they browned a little too much while baking.
LOOKING FOR MORE SCRUMPTIOUS COOKIE RECIPES?
If you prefer white chocolate in your cookies, Sugar Dish Me has a scrumptious recipe for Marry Me Cookies with white chocolate and macadamia nuts. And if you're trying to stay on the wagon, Moscato Mom has you covered with these yummy keto chocolate chip cookies.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Large Mixing Bowl – You’ll need a bowl if you’re mixing by hand or with a hand mixer. It also comes in handy when sifting.
Sifter – for sifting the dry ingredients together.
Cookie Scoop – I wasn’t sold on my cookie scoop at first; Dan wanted me to use it, but I was used to just using a spoon and my fingers. But he was right… It saves dough, makes a smaller cookie, and lends to a rounder cookie.
Cookie Sheet – Mine comes in handy for so many things, including baking cookies.
Cookie Spatula – for removing the hot cookies from the cookie sheet.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
If you love this chocolate chip cookie recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest! If you make the recipe, be sure to share that you tried it on Pinterest. I love when readers share feedback!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pre-heat the oven to 375° F.
- Cream (or mix together) the softened butter, cane sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
- Stir the chocolate chips in by hand, thoroughly mixing the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
- Optional Step: Cover and chill the cookie dough for about 2 hours. This helps make a very chewy cookie.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop cookies onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° F for 10-11 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden and done.
- Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet, and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with a nice tall glass of ice cold milk.